Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NGDF Posts and insensitivity

December 31, 2023 02:41PM
Concerning Steve Butler, I truly wish him the best. But the bad management that fostered the current mess is still in place. As far as I know, the individual defendants are still employed or are associated with the railroad as either employees, managers or commissioners. Will these people empower Mr. Butler to make the needed changes? Based on their past record, I seriously doubt it. It would appear that these people are more motivated by political concerns and the protection of themselves and their friends and cronies. Reading these posts, it is obvious that they are doing great damage to the railroad as people are choosing to stay away.
Are these people truly bad managers? To me, the answer is yes. Ask any personnel manager for any responsible public agency or significant private business what they would do when faced with a similar situation such as this civil rights lawsuit. Whether they believe the claim or not, they would immediately take steps to protect the employees from such behavior, institute civil rights training for all employees— and clarify to all that the company will not tolerate such behavior and people who do these things can expect consequences, including termination if they persist. These actions are simply common sense in today’s business environment. Any responsible management would have already taken these steps, whether a claim is made or not. Part of the reason for doing so is to insulate the company from liability. If they don’t take these responsible steps, they can expect that they will get hammered if a case goes to court for seemingly allowing this sort of reprehensible behavior.
In fact, most insurers will insist that insured entities take these steps before providing or continuing coverage. Again, if you don’t believe me, check with the personnel or risk managers for any significant business or agency. Which brings me to another issue— is there insurance coverage in this particular case? Why do I ask that? First off, I don’t know one way or another, but reading the allegations and in the complaint, I am struck by certain facts—1) complaints were made to management years ago, but no action was taken, if only to assure that this behavior would not repeat itself. 2) That there was another civil rights case settled with another employee earlier this year. As far as I know, no remedial action was taken afterwards to assure that there would be no new actions like this in the future. This is often required by the insurer to continue insurance coverage in the future; and finally, 3) Insurers will sometimes deny coverage for “intentionally committed torts”, particularly the “intentional infliction of emotional distress”. By taking no apparent action in the past on these issues, it would be fair to say that management was tolerant of such bad behavior. Insurers would view this very unfavorably.
Because these issues involve a publicly- owned, maintained and operated railroad, established by the two states, I think that it is a very worthy and appropriate topic of discussion both here and elsewhere.In the end it isn’t this discussion on the NGDF that endangers the railroad, it is the truly bad management that is apparently more interested in their own self interests instead of the successful and responsible management of the railroad. By limiting discussion on these issues, it only protects the management and certain bad employees from oversight and consequences, thereby assuring the continued deterioration of the railroad and its reputation.
Subject Author Posted

NGDF Posts and insensitivity

craig December 28, 2023 09:50AM

Kelly Anderson December 28, 2023 10:13AM

dave2-8-0 December 28, 2023 10:36AM

What troubles me....

John West December 28, 2023 10:51AM

Re: What troubles me....

SR_Krause December 29, 2023 06:55PM

Roger Hogan December 29, 2023 08:07PM

12bridge December 29, 2023 08:13PM

Roger Hogan December 29, 2023 08:18PM

albspng December 29, 2023 10:25PM

Dave Boyer December 29, 2023 05:11PM

Randy Hees December 29, 2023 06:11PM

dave2-8-0 December 29, 2023 10:30PM

cdaspit December 30, 2023 10:29AM

et&wnc December 28, 2023 10:58AM

Earl December 28, 2023 12:01PM

cokid.2986 December 28, 2023 12:04PM

Kelly Anderson December 28, 2023 02:36PM

MatthewM December 28, 2023 04:52PM

KevinM December 29, 2023 08:49AM

et&wnc December 29, 2023 10:10AM

Wayne Sanderson December 31, 2023 01:09AM

Dougwood1954 December 31, 2023 06:09AM

Roger Hogan December 31, 2023 08:12AM

Carl Quist December 31, 2023 11:35AM

Dougwood1954 December 31, 2023 12:29PM

Roger Hogan December 31, 2023 01:03PM

Kelly Anderson December 31, 2023 09:17AM

cokid.2986 December 31, 2023 02:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.