Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which ,of course , reminds me of a tale

August 08, 2000 10:14PM
IN 1988 the D&SNG was using the Railbus ("Failbust") for the backpackers .I was always broke down so the 470s often did the duty .One Labor Day I was asked to fire the railbus with #473.Shawn Curtis was the engineer I was very happy as at the time I was paid double time and a half, about $22 an hour to work the old idiot stick .(scoop shovel) .I was making more than the engineer ,who was on salary ! the last run was around 2 pm ,and we proceeded around the wye at Rockwood .Somehow we overshot the switch and the pony was on the ties. Shawn insisted we horse the butterfly frogs under the cylinders ,which I knew wouldn't work , because of little clearance there was no way of pounding in the steel wedge that kept the frogs in place .I had a better idea ,but ,typically Shawn was not ready to listen . I figured , hell, it was paying great by the hour and it was Charles E.Bradshaw's money ! Of course ,after an hour or more of horsing those frogs around ,it did not work . The sun started getting low and we had to get in to Durango at some point . Finally Shawn was ready to listen to my brilliant idea .I suggested we roll backward ,and let the pony climb up on the West leg rail (we were on the east leg),but for only a foot .Then I line the switch to the West Leg and proceed forward ,but only a foot .We some how line the switch back to the East Leg(Y'all still with me?) and backed off. Voila! everything was going the right direction , and we went home to Durango .That was the fattest paycheck I ever made railroading !
Subject Author Posted

Stub switch on wye at Rockwood

John West August 08, 2000 08:11PM

Re: Stub switch on wye at Rockwood

Jeff Johnson August 08, 2000 09:39PM

Which ,of course , reminds me of a tale

El Coke August 08, 2000 10:14PM

Re: Which ,of course , reminds me of a tale

Jeff Johnson August 08, 2000 10:36PM

Re: Which ,of course , reminds me of a tale

Mike Ramsey August 10, 2000 05:31PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.