Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Narrow gauge street running question

February 11, 2023 04:27PM
Unfortunately, none of the photos I reviewed, did a good job of explaining a tongue and mate switch. Several were shown, and if you see a black box next to the rail where the tongue ( switch point) swivels in a controlled arc, that is the switch point. To move the switch point to a difference route, one had to open the box and there was a spring inside that could move and the spring held the point in the desired position. After the route taken was not needed, the switch had to be re-thrown to allow traffic to use the usual route.

When this type is used in electrified trackage (overhead electric wires) , the switch box was set up for an electrical movement by use of the controller in the track vehicle to change the switch movement without having the employee manually opening the box. When the operator ( engineer ) came to a certain point on the track, the electrical trolley pole would send a charge to the switch if the operator wanted to use the diverging route: If the controller was off, the switch stayed in the position ir was in; if the operator wanted to diverge, the operator would allow some current to be sent to the switch and the point would change. In some cases in trolley use, the operator could lean out the front window and use a long rod to open the box and move the spring throw. There are both single and double tongue switches in use today in both freight and transit.

There were thousands of electrical tongue and mates used in the trolley days, and also on docks with electrical overhead where this type of switch was used. I have had an electrical engineer tell me that the tongue and mate switch would not work after I explained what type of switch I would be using on an installation of a trolley line. I don't think I ever got him to realize the many years that had past and they were still working today.,
Subject Author Posted

Narrow gauge street running question Attachments

Ethan February 11, 2023 01:08PM

bcp February 11, 2023 01:14PM

Ethan February 11, 2023 02:43PM

nickgully February 11, 2023 03:52PM

Fuzzy Money February 11, 2023 04:27PM

Re: Track switches in pavement Attachments

tgbcvr February 11, 2023 05:58PM

John Liebson February 12, 2023 06:58AM

Re: Narrow gauge street running question Attachments

jim pallow February 11, 2023 06:13PM

Earl February 11, 2023 09:21PM

Ernie Barney February 16, 2023 04:43PM

MD Ramsey February 17, 2023 12:04PM

Andrew Roth February 15, 2023 10:28PM

jim pallow February 16, 2023 08:26PM

bcp February 15, 2023 10:52PM

Re: NNG street running Attachments

MD Ramsey February 17, 2023 09:20AM

Re: NNG street running in Florida

spieser February 17, 2023 11:40AM

Re: NNG street running in Florida

spieser February 17, 2023 11:57AM

craig February 12, 2023 08:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login