Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Photoshop and 491 at Cumbres

July 17, 2004 01:24PM
I don't know how much is left out of the LE version, but I used mostly basic controls. I fiddled around a lot so am not sure of all the steps, but I can recall some of them.
I change the image size to 288ppi. This doesn't do much for the jpg artifacts, but I can blur them somewhat and when I shrink the image back to 72 ppi they aren't as bad. Most were in the shadow areas, so I used the Select/Color Range tool to select just the shadow areas, expanded the selected areas a bit with the Select/Feather tool, (2 pixels), and used Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur to soften the areas.
I use Image/Adjustments/Levels for a lot of things. I set the white point in the clouds in the sky to get that area to look kinda normal, then selected the sky and clouds with the wand to isolate them and inversed the selection so I wouldn't affect them any more.
Then you start to adjust things with the hue/saturation and brightness/contrast settings. If LE has it, you can also use Image/Adjustments/Variations to affect a lot of things from one place.
If you want to adjust using CMYK, change your file in Image/Mode to CMYK color. Then Levels will let you work on the Cyan layer.
If you are balancing for your printer, I'd do two versions of the file. Do one for screen and the other for printing. They can look very different depending on your equipment.
Apple monitors aren't inherenty brighter than other monitors. I'd just set things to look right to you and post that version. I have both Mac and Windows machines, and your photo looked too light on my Windows monitor. I will say that I have seen some grossly out of spec monitor setups. Unless you are used to color balancing and set your monitor up, it can go off in a lot of ways, including being too dark. It even depends on viewing in a well lit room or a darkened one, so just do what looks best to you.
I too learned all this in a darkroom with DK-50, D-76, Acetic Acid and Hypo smells and stains. All of your skills are still applicable in Photoshop, and I think you have a leg up because you know what a good print ought to look like in B/W and color. I've enjoyed all of your photos and look forward to many more of your memories. I am so glad you were there to take them and have the skill to resurrect them from some ancient Ektachromes.
Subject Author Posted

Photoshop and 491 at Cumbres *PIC*

John West July 16, 2004 09:33PM

Re: Photoshop and 491 at Cumbres *PIC*

John West July 16, 2004 09:35PM

Re: Photoshop and 491 at Cumbres *LINK* *PIC*

John West July 16, 2004 09:39PM

Re: Photoshop and 491 at Cumbres *PIC*

rick b July 17, 2004 02:10AM

John West July 17, 2004 09:11AM

Fritz Klinke July 17, 2004 10:03AM

Greathouse

John West July 17, 2004 07:54PM

Running time :14 miles-45 minutes

El Coke July 17, 2004 08:46PM

Re: Running time :14 miles-45 minutes

Hoss The Wideload July 17, 2004 08:54PM

That's right . *NM*

El Coke July 18, 2004 12:25PM

Re: Running time :14 miles-45 minutes

Earl July 18, 2004 02:08PM

Radios?

John West July 17, 2004 11:09PM

rick b July 17, 2004 01:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.