Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG; Selling Stolen Items

November 18, 2021 02:10PM
We obtained some cab side number plates in South Africa. There the railroad would make them available to the railway museum in Johannesburg once an engine was scrapped. I seem to remember back in the 70's the price for a sold brass cab side number plate was about $8.00 U.S. I recently sold one to another railfan that was brought back here on a freighter in 1976. I am keeping one and sold the other. There were two plates per engine, one for each side. In 1984 when I made my last trip, there were no cab side plates available. But we were able to purchase GMAM(Garratt), tender plates. These are much smaller but similar looking oval plates. I bought 2 for about $8.00 each.
Still had soot on them, as the security guy found out when he unwrapped them from the newspaper the museum had wrapped them in. He was not happy!!! I am not really a collector of RR artifacts but those two GMAM plates are near the fireplace on display. They mean more to me than most folks who see them. Anyway some things can be obtained without stealing. In the old days steam was being scrapped at two locations west of Cincinnati. They got engines from the L&N, N&W, NYC, B&O, and maybe others shipped in. I know a couple guys who told me they bought stuff from those scrappers, like number plates, bells, headlights, gauges, whistles, and builders plates.
Greg
Subject Author Posted

NNG; Selling Stolen Items Attachments

BrockD&RGW488 November 17, 2021 06:42PM

BrockD&RGW488 November 17, 2021 06:52PM

SilvertonBranch November 18, 2021 08:43AM

Greg Scholl November 18, 2021 02:10PM

guymonmd November 18, 2021 02:41PM

heatermason November 18, 2021 03:59PM

heatermason November 18, 2021 04:01PM

BrockD&RGW488 November 18, 2021 05:49PM

S.P. (T&NO) 985 Bell on eBay

Doug Debs November 19, 2021 07:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login