Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colombian 3 foot RR and TUT tours

June 03, 2004 03:03PM
I think Train Unlimited would easily schedule a return tour to Columbia. However the state of the railroad and the travel warnings from the State Department make it difficult to arrange any tours. If the system has not operated for a while, it is like Guatemala or Ecuador, very dangerous to travel on the trains. The condition of the tracks and availabilty of equipment is the problem.
Guatemala is back operating as well as Ecuador. Guatemala has two narrow gauge steam locomotives available for charter, however the price is so high for charters, it makes a tour very expensive. Last years tour to Ecuador had many operating problems on the G&Q that offering tours that fail to deliever on operation hurts the tour operator reputation. However the latest Trains has a article on Ecuador and lists three tour operators going back.
I was going to visit Columbia this February. However we could not arrange it. My Wife is from Peru and we live in Lima a few months out of the year. We are planning on a trip to Bogata, Columbia later in the year to see the Tourist Train.
From what I have heard from others is the situation in Columbia is still a problem, however the cities are safer. Travel by land is the problem. We have nieghbors here in Ohio that are from Columbia and they fled due to the crime problems. I don't have any updates on the State Department warnings. Just haven't checked the website! I would like to hear from anyone who has visited the railroad lately?
Dale Brown
Subject Author Posted

Colombian 3 foot RR

Pat June 02, 2004 02:20AM

Re: Colombian 3 foot RR

Chuck Owen June 02, 2004 06:33PM

Pat June 02, 2004 11:00PM

Jim Armstrong June 03, 2004 11:10AM

Colombian 3 foot RR and TUT tours

Dale W. Brown June 03, 2004 03:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.