Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abandoned Huckleberry track

Jason L
June 01, 2004 01:44AM
I remember back when I was a kid, my grandfather taking me to Huckleberry Railroad in Flint, MI all the time to ride the trains (he is a huge railfan, and has also worked on the railroad for over 30 years before retiring). Anyways, why did they ever abandon the other half of the track, and cut the ride time down considerably? It was always my favorite part of the ride, and now the track (which is all still intact) is just sitting out in the woods behind my grandfathers place rotting away (I frequently go walking along the track, although it is heavily grown in now. I kinda wish they would clear it out, and re-open it, even if just for special events such as the railfan days, etc. They could easily throw a switch in the new loop. Too bad it will prolly never be reopened). I forgot what year they closed it down, but I am guess ing 1989, or somewhere around there. I faintly remember #464 pulling the train. Anyways, I have just been looking for info on the old track, and am having a really hard time finding any.
I have also applied for railroad related jobs there many times, and the first time I applied, the were crazy about me, but unfortunately I found another job before they called me up. Lately I have been having a hard time getting calls back when I apply. Do any of you that work there have any tips, as I would really like to get my foot in the door, so to speak, and gain experience. I have been interested in steam railroading ever since I was very young. I also have quite a bit of knowledge on railroading in general.
I have quite a few pictures of the huckleberry railroad, as my minor in college is photography, so I am usually parked near the tracks, out taking photos.
Anyways, I stumbled upon this board while I was searching for info, and just thought I would post, since a search turned up quite a bit of info on the Huckleberry Railroad.
Once again, any info on the abandoned section of track, and tips for getting a job there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason
Subject Author Posted

Abandoned Huckleberry track

Jason L June 01, 2004 01:44AM

Not Abandoned - RailBanked Huckleberry track

Marty Knox June 01, 2004 08:48AM

Re: Not Abandoned - RailBanked Huckleberry track

Jason L June 01, 2004 12:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.