Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: D&RG Class 3 and 3A Box cars

June 17, 2021 09:49PM
When Sloan started writing he didn't have copies of the original D&RG equipment drawings. All he had were the folio drawings and some, but not nearly all of the equipment registers. There is often a lot of differences between cars in the same class and folio drawings are not always that accurate. I've extensively measured 2 or 3 of the existing 4000 series boxcars and there are quite a few differences. Even differences show up in the 1924 rebuilt cars. Certainly any cars rebuilt from original class 3 into class 3A would have required new frames. By that time their floors and their board roofs would have been in poor condition too.

Sloan started his research in the days of his column writing for the "Slim Gauge News" and his articles included drawings made from photos, as that and some equipment registers was all he had. Sloan is the one who created the class number system, which he used in his book, as the D&RG never classed their equipment as such.

Everything I wrote is speculation based on my study of the original drawings and knowledge of the roster. The B&S records and drawings do not exist and it seems that all of the class 3 cars were built by the D&RG and probably all but the first class 2 cars were also. Drawings of the D&RG hardware seem to be derived from those first B&S car castings. Note that there should be a height difference in cars equipped with the 24" wheels as compared to those with the 26" wheels. We are fortunate that as many of the original drawings have been saved and preserved, but I don't believe records of the D&RG car building have survived from those early days and that is where the real answers would lie.
Dave
Subject Author Posted

D&RG Class 3 and 3A Box cars

Erock482 June 11, 2021 05:45PM

CR BT Dispr June 14, 2021 11:19PM

Erock482 June 15, 2021 07:29PM

David Johnson June 17, 2021 06:07PM

CR BT Dispr June 17, 2021 08:35PM

David Johnson June 17, 2021 09:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login