Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: WP&Y No. 100, July 2011

June 29, 2021 06:04PM avatar
@MD Ramsey

First picture is where they used to load the Carcross train (No. 1), by bussing passengers up to the shop and then leaving just ahead of the morning Fraser train, No. 21. That ended a few years later once the new "Fraser" platform (which is basically just bus parking and a storage track for the Fraser train to sit overnight) was used and then No. 1 departed from the Skagway depot.

Second picture is up at 15C and then the tunnel. MP 16 is just past the tunnel.

Third picture is at the Fraser platform while you were stopped for Canadian customs agents. Looks like the engineer has a half eat Oats & Honey Nature Valley bar. For awhile they gave those out as snacks to certain passengers on various trains.

Fourth picture is at Bennett. If I remember correctly that container flat was used to haul out garbage from Bennett and back to Carcross. I only got to work that train a few times before they ended the meal service at Bennett but I think the "garbage run" was once a week on the northbound and then was emptied and came back the next day on No. 2. I never saw inside the containers how full they were but I believe there was a combination of a container hauling food in as well as some of the daily MOW moves that would bring in fresh food. At the time the kitchen staff was living partially at Bennett, but I was very new to the railroad at the time and had limited exposure and understanding on how they worked all the logistics out for the meal service. I'm grateful to have eaten some really good crew meals at Bennett when it still existed being used in its original purpose as a meal stop.

Last picture was Carcross. Looks like they might be rolling south over the crossing to shove back into the siding. I don't think the train was long enough to worry about the switch lined against them. This was two years before I worked there and some of it is an educated guess, but still neat to see your photos. It's a great place to railroad and I've missed it since 2019.

There's a few White Passers who lurk here and may or may likely not post, but I'm sure if any of the info I posted is wrong, I'll hear about it.

John Hillier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2021 06:06PM by John C.
Subject Author Posted

Exploring the White Pass & Yukon - Part Three

John C May 22, 2021 09:25PM

Re: Exploring the White Pass & Yukon - Part Three

IanLK May 22, 2021 10:51PM

Buffalo Bob May 22, 2021 11:32PM

Jim May 23, 2021 06:27AM

John C May 23, 2021 07:23AM

bcp May 23, 2021 10:35AM

John C May 23, 2021 01:30PM

Running Through the Shop to Avoid a Rockslide

John C June 07, 2021 04:05PM

Re: Running Through the Shop to Avoid a Rockslide

bcp June 07, 2021 04:20PM

Modified Nathan Whistle Measurements from the 251? Attachments

John C June 27, 2021 11:24AM

John C June 07, 2021 06:48PM

BrianJ June 08, 2021 11:02AM

John C June 27, 2021 11:19AM

Re: WP&Y No. 100, July 2011 Attachments

MD Ramsey June 28, 2021 06:14AM

Re: WP&Y No. 100, July 2011

John C June 29, 2021 06:04PM

BrianJ June 28, 2021 09:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login