Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apology for not posting this picture previously

May 08, 2021 02:08PM
909dal1958.jpg

I should have included this picture previously because it shows the true color of Charles R Long Co "light russia" paint as applied to the "fake" T&P # 909. This is important because it shows the paint when newly applied. As previously stated, the blue hue would fade away in a few months leaving a gray green which over time (couple of years) turned more and more gray .This should give a more complete answer to the color. Sorry to be so late posting but I had forgotten I had this shot taken by a friend of mine.

"Fake": After vandalized 2-10-4 was scrapped in 1955 the State Fair of Texas as T&P for another engine which they said they would prevent from vandalism. T&P bought a 4-8-2 that sort of looked like their own 905-909..Cost $5,000. Then they had to pay to ship it to Marshall Tx shops to "T&P-ize it and then get it to Dallas . They even paid for the chain link fence and the Fair promised to prevent it from being damaged, Basically this caused the Railroad Museum of the Southwest to be born and the fair never paid anything to keep the engine in good shape. Others can give information about the museum and what it became in a move to Frisco Tx. It truly is a nice place.
Subject Author Posted

Apology for not posting this picture previously Attachments

Tomstp May 08, 2021 02:08PM

Re: Apology for not posting this picture previously

Russo Loco May 08, 2021 07:19PM

hudsonut1 May 08, 2021 08:37PM

trainrider47 May 09, 2021 08:04AM

Tom Moungovan May 09, 2021 08:40AM

Tom Moungovan May 09, 2021 06:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login