Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG - A narrow miss by a Japanese bomb fragment 79 years ago

December 08, 2020 05:42PM
My wife's mother grew up in Kaneohe on the island of Oahu. Sunday, December 7 was just another day to work on the farm. My mother in-law said that there were planes flying about that morning and no one thought anything of it with the Kaneohe Naval Air Station just about 5 miles away. Then they hear the sound of machine guns and heavier artillery, and heard shells whistling over their farm to impact the mountains behind them. Shortly after that they found out the Japanese had attacked the island. As my mother in-law's father had been in the Japanese Calvary before immigrating from Japan in 1910, they hurriedly buried all of their Japanese mementos (including my wife's grandfather's Calvary Sword) and feared for their safety. The Japanese immigrants in Hawaii were deemed essential workers and most were not interned. My wife's grandfather knew how to operate a bulldozer so he was put to work for most of a week burying the casualties in mass graves. The Japanese mementos (and sword) were never recovered...
Subject Author Posted

NNG - A narrow miss by a Japanese bomb fragment 79 years ago Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen December 07, 2020 08:33PM

Sandiapaul December 08, 2020 03:51AM

Kelly Anderson December 08, 2020 06:46AM

James December 08, 2020 11:06AM

randyr December 08, 2020 01:40PM

Dave Peterson December 08, 2020 05:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login