> where near a doctor?
>
> THIS is the reason for the masks and all the
> concerns. It got communicated well at first, but
> people being people, they forgot it almost in-
> stantly. And it's just as much of a concern now
> as it was this past spring.

Right On, Lee -

The way things are going, we're nearly all going to get it sooner or later — the vaccine is months away for most of us, even old farts like me, and so many people have C-19 now that it's spreading like crazy.  The reason for us wearing masks – especially indoors, where it's about 18 TIMES as likely to spread from your buddy to you (or vice versa) – is to slow the spread enough so that hospitals and health-care workers, some of whom are dying and ALL of whom are getting worn out fighting this thing, can handle the load.  If we all get sick at the same time, a LOT MORE of us will die than if only some of us are sick this month and some of us are sick next month and some of us aren't sick til next spring.  Right now around one in eight who test positive end up in the hospital, and about one in five of those, after a few days or a few weeks or a few months of incredibly intensive VERY stressful and uncomfortable and essentially isolated care, die.

One out of five dying out of every one out of eight hospitalized works out to a death rate of 1/5 × 1/8 = 1/40, or 2½ percent of those infected.  But that's these days, when the hospitals still have a few ICU rooms available and barely enough trained doctors and nurses to staff them.  The death rate of "only" 2.5% will rise when there are more people seriously infected than there are doctors and nurses around to take care of them.* [/b]

et&wnc (also) Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
> COVID is also leaving some really lasting issues
> for those who catch it, something that also does
> not seem to make a dent for people.  Everyone
> in my optometrist office caught this thing earlier
> this year and none of them, eight months later,
> can smell or taste anything. One has been told it
> might be permanent. Think that's not a big deal?
> Wanna trade places with her and never taste
> anything again?
>
> Yeah. I thought not. confused smiley

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 1/3 of a century ago, which flares up every few years and requires Chemo and Radiation to knock down, and one time a lymph node under my jaw was infected and the radiation zapped my mouth and especially my tongue so that eating a crab & shrimp Louie salad was about as thrilling as eating wet cardboard — but I was lucky, and got my taste back after six or eight months.  Like steak??  Tastes no better than salad, it's harder to chew, and it gets stuck in your teeth.

- Russ

*  IMHO, in about two weeks – when the Thanksgiving Gathering infections have had time to incubate and there are 12 Covid patients for every 8 or 10 ICU beds – what the hospitals ought to do as part of their triage in the ER is find out who's been wearing masks and who hasn't, and send the latter to the back of the line . . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 07:07PM by Russo Loco.
Subject Author Posted

NNG: Royal Gorge Route RR says 3 employees tested positive for COVID-19; some guests may have been exposed

Chris Webster December 03, 2020 06:23AM

Re: NNG: Royal Gorge Route RR says 3 employees tested positive for COVID-19; some guests may have been exposed

et&wnc December 03, 2020 01:56PM

Re: NNG: Royal Gorge Route RR says 3 employees tested positive for COVID-19; some guests may have been exposed

Rick Steele December 04, 2020 10:26AM

Re: NNG: COVID-19 . . .

Russo Loco December 04, 2020 06:47PM

et&wnc December 04, 2020 12:43PM

Hauspiper December 04, 2020 12:55PM

Samart December 04, 2020 01:06PM

guymonmd December 04, 2020 01:59PM

Thread locked

John West December 04, 2020 10:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.