Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ice and Water Shield!

December 06, 2020 09:34PM
I think I am going to go with plywood-ice shield-T&G-base roll roofing - cap sheet (That's got to at least last a little while...) I did see that some of the cars at Golder had a rubber material on the roof and I can certainly see why you'd go that route.

My roll roofing just arrived yesterday but still have to get the T&G and ice shield first as the under layers. A lot of one of the really old roll roofing remains are also to be cleaned out of the sub-roof below the carlines. Interesting stuff in that it's so very thin and just has a very fine cloth like material in it covered with the elaterite or similar material, not much thicker than paper. Not much of it left and I can't see how it could have possibly lasted well, and I can only assume it's a much older material that bits and pieces of just fell where they did during a later re-roofing as the remains of the last roof the car had in service were much thicker.

IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG

Also some belated attached photos. First two give a good idea of the overall condition of the interior. There are old stove locations in the left ends of both of the first photos. Interestingly, they never even bothered to remove the metal cover of the one in the second floor and the very rusted partial remains are still there. The stove location in photo 1 still retains a metal cover over the ceiling bead board. I also inherited at least 4 50's-60's farm truck plates used on the car as shown in photo 3.

4th photo shows the most clear of the writings behind the final stove location, a "Celedonio Trujillo" in McPhee in May of 1942. There are at least 4 different individuals who signed their names and they appear to range from 1913-1942. There's an Arturo Piltorulo(?),a Frank Girule(?) listing "Vallecito's New Mexico", so apparently the car went on the Chili Line, and a Joe M. Donato with something that looks like "Chrisltoro 13". A lot of arithmetic on there too. Interestingly, a couple of the individual's including Celedonio Trujillo, despite it being a roadway car and potentially seasonal employment, apparently stayed in it in different years.

5th photo shows the one remaining door. After more closely examining it, what I thought was replacement door hardware on it appears to be original as the fit is too good, and the metal screened door visible in photo 1 was welded onto the hinges from the other door. So, I'm just short two latches and two hinges for the end door.

IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 09:38PM by Grant Houston.
Subject Author Posted

Outfit Car Questions for 04946 Restoration

Grant Houston November 23, 2020 10:23PM

Re: Outfit Car Questions for 04946 Restoration

drgw0579 November 24, 2020 08:58AM

Re: Outfit Car Questions for 04946 Restoration Attachments

dave2-8-0 November 24, 2020 10:26AM

Ice and Water Shield!

drgw0579 November 24, 2020 10:46AM

Grant Houston November 25, 2020 09:47PM

Jeff Taylor November 29, 2020 10:05PM

Re: Ice and Water Shield! Attachments

Grant Houston December 06, 2020 09:34PM

Car57 December 07, 2020 08:24AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login