Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-Carcross, YT to Whitehorse, YT (2)

May 29, 2020 08:57PM
"We finally left (Carcross) at about 6:30 (PM). Remaining 60 miles less spectacular but still beautiful. Saw a beaver and numerous beaver dams, one 15' high and a huge pond. Arrived Whitehorse after switching (ore) transfer station......" (journal entry, Sunday, May 20, 1979):
share84.jpg

"...about 10:00 (PM)..." (journal). A last look inside Coach #268:
share85.jpg

After what was left of our train was spotted at the depot, the locomotives were uncoupled and headed for the servicing area. We headed into the depot. As we were several hours late, there was only one fellow left, and all three of us were tired. But of course there was a last wrinkle: the schedule for the White Pass plainly said that no vehicles could be carried on Sundays (fortunately and/or unfortunately neither we nor the ticket agent in the lower 48 had read that).

There was our Datsun, with all our supplies and camping gear sitting on the flat car, conveniently coupled between the coaches and the string of tank cars. And the remaining employee was not in the union which could unload it. I offered to drive it off myself if they spotted the car. It had been a long day- he actually considered it:
share86.jpg

"Waited for different union member to unload till 10:30. Just getting dark." (journal)

While waiting, as the sun was setting, across the tracks, caboose #903 peaked out from between two container flats:
share88.jpg

It is now on the Midwest Central RR the web says.

Could I sneak one more photo in? I ran around the container flats. Yes! :
share89.jpg

Our journey on the White Pass was over. "Drove out of town toward Jackson Lake and camped....."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2020 09:36PM by heatermason.
Subject Author Posted

White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-Carcross, YT to Whitehorse, YT Attachments

heatermason May 29, 2020 08:22PM

Re: White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-Carcross, YT to Whitehorse, YT Attachments

Buffalo Bob May 29, 2020 08:52PM

Re: White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-Carcross, YT to Whitehorse, YT

heatermason May 29, 2020 09:00PM

White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-Carcross, YT to Whitehorse, YT (2) Attachments

heatermason May 29, 2020 08:57PM

White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-#73 in Whitehorse Attachments

heatermason May 29, 2020 09:18PM

Re: White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-#73 in Whitehorse

tgbcvr May 30, 2020 09:38PM

Re: White Pass & Yukon 41 years ago-#73 in Whitehorse

heatermason May 31, 2020 08:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login