Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mackie Clemens Fuel Co.

February 23, 2020 08:21PM
I tried to find a photo of the #2081 as she sits, but I couldn't find it. She was resting with the lower front smokebox resting of the ground, with the rear up in the air, as the frame from the front of the firebox back, is still there. The saddle tank and the cab are still on the boiler. The Crawford County Museum in Pittsburg, KS might have some photos of the Mackie Clemens operation. I saw a blow up of a photo there, which showed 8-wheel hoppers with a large white circle and an early style Jayhawk in the circle. I believe Mackie Clemens was selling coal under the name of Jayhawk Coal, at one time.

The Vulcan frame only has some casting numbers, but not a builder's number. Based on the wheelbase, etc. I believe it was a 10x16 locomotive. Perhaps if I dug through all of the boxes of Vulcan records, at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, I might find a parts order for Mackie Clemens. There were several Davenports operating in southeast Kansas and southwest Missouri, so McAnally made patterns and cast parts for the Davenports, but I doubt they did that for the Vulcan locomotives, as there were few operating there. While it seems Mackie Clemens did machining and locomotive repairs, I think McAnally may have done the boiler work.

Do you have the 10x16 Davenport, on your list, which is located at the old cement plant in Freedonia, KS. I've got some photos of her, as she sits. (The photos are several years old)
Dave
Subject Author Posted

Mackie Clemens Fuel Co.

J.David February 21, 2020 07:17PM

David Johnson February 21, 2020 10:14PM

J.David February 23, 2020 07:43PM

David Johnson February 23, 2020 08:21PM

David Johnson February 24, 2020 06:19AM

Jim Marlett February 25, 2020 07:01PM

J.David February 25, 2020 08:39PM

Re: Mackie Clemens Fuel Co. Attachments

o anderson February 26, 2020 08:13AM

cple_engineer February 26, 2020 04:59PM

Re: Mackie Clemens Fuel Co. Attachments

Hosscar March 03, 2020 05:05PM

J.David March 03, 2020 08:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login