Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Eureka question

March 03, 2020 08:12PM
Watcher,
It was really quite simple. My wife, Ditty, was dragging me out to an arts and crafts show in Boulder City in May 1986. It was a hot day, and I really had no desire going to an arts and crafts show. On the way out to BC there was a place called Old Vegas, which was a really neat re creation of the old town of Las Vegas. There was a restaurant there called Tony Roma's and we stopped in for a cool margarita ..After we cooled down, we went back outside and I noticed the back area to the recreated Las Vegas town was closed off. I knew the locomotive was back in that area, but could not see it. So, Ditty and I walked around the outside perimeter. Much to my surprise, much of the recreated town was burned, and so was the shed under which they stored Eureka, which burned and collapsed on the locomotive. It was all a very big mess.

However, I had a background with things mechanical, particularly airplanes, and looked over the charred mess and saw the possibility of doing a restoration. I asked the security guard how long it had been sitting in the burned up pile, and he said a year. Now I already knew the history of the locomotive, and a little bell went off in my head that if no one else cared for it, maybe I could do something with it.

As far as acquiring the locomotive, it was relatively straight forward. I contacted the owners of Old Vegas, and began talking with them about it. We negotiated back and forth for a couple months, and finally agreed on a price. At the conclusion of our negotiations, they mentioned that they knew the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City was interested in Eureka also, and thought they would offer it to them first......for free. All they had to do was come and get it. This was fine with me as what I cared about was preserving the locomotive. I put a time limit on my offer to which they agreed. They contacted the NSRM Director at that time, but apparently he thought the whole thing was a joke, and threw the Old Vegas letter away. The time passed, I contacted the owners and asked what happened. They said they did not know, but they never even got a reply of any sort. I said to them, I still wanted the engine, and if agreeable I would FED EX the cashier's check, if they would send the Bill of Sale. They agreed. And that is how I got Eureka. And yes, I did purchase it.

Interestingly, the day I went out to Old Vegas to start preparing the locomotive for transport to my home, a bunch of suits showed up. They asked me who I was, and they identified themselves as being from the NSRM CC and the Calif. State Railroad Museum. They asked me if I was willing to sell the engine right then and there for a substantial amount over what I paid for it. I was amazed, and told them that the NSRM CC could have had it for nothing if they just picked it up. They said that whole episode was a very sore spot with them and told me how the director thought the whole thing was a joke. I thought about their offer, but then decided I got it now, and might as well see what I can do with the old gal. So, I thanked them, and spent the next six years rebuilding Eureka. according to its original blueprints and finish schedule. I'm glad I kept Eureka. It has given me and my little family the adventure of a lifetime.

Dan Markoff
Subject Author Posted

South Park Rail Society; D&RGW Stock Car 5743 Project Attachments

Jason Midyette February 11, 2020 08:47AM

Re: South Park Rail Society; D&RGW Stock Car 5743 Project

Jerry Huck February 15, 2020 12:10PM

Who has pondered new-built?

SR_Krause February 15, 2020 04:46PM

Re: Who has pondered new-built?

Will Gant February 15, 2020 07:52PM

Jason Midyette February 15, 2020 08:39PM

Popeye8762 February 15, 2020 09:35PM

TonyK375 February 15, 2020 11:20PM

Brian Norden February 15, 2020 10:12PM

Dan Markoff February 16, 2020 10:56AM

Eureka question

Watcher March 03, 2020 11:09AM

nickgully March 03, 2020 12:03PM

Watcher March 03, 2020 01:02PM

Dan Markoff March 03, 2020 08:12PM

Watcher March 03, 2020 09:47PM

Wayne Hoskin March 04, 2020 11:35AM

Dan Markoff March 04, 2020 04:50PM

Re: Eureka question Como someday?

Stewart Rhine March 04, 2020 08:52PM

evankamp March 04, 2020 08:55PM

Brian Norden March 04, 2020 09:32PM

Jerry Huck March 05, 2020 10:47AM

Stewart Rhine March 05, 2020 11:39AM

Zach_Jones March 05, 2020 12:27AM

Joe Weigman February 16, 2020 01:32PM

Re: Who has pondered new-built? Attachments

Popeye8762 February 16, 2020 03:07PM

Jerry474 March 05, 2020 09:54AM

evankamp March 05, 2020 10:31AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login