Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Things found while packing up, first trip on the Silverton

May 21, 2019 08:04AM
Wish I had a scanner. One of my old tickets that bemused me when I got it in May of '81 is for a ride from Grand Jct to Osceola, Iowa. (D&RGW 18, Amtrak #6). The thing that caught my notice was that the ticket form had been printed ca 1951 or '52! That's judging by the system map on the outside, shows the Cedar Creek stub of the Montrose-Gunnison line(removed Fall of '52) but the Valley line is gone(removed Feb of "51). Gave the Amtrak conductor pause in Denver the next day.

One I've lost is for my mother and I riding D&RGW 17 from Denver to Green River in '75 (Dad dropped us off and drove ahead to meet us there.) Denver ticket agent had to look up the tariff to determine the train really did stop at Green River (flag stop, on notice to agent at Thompson or Helper), Conductor didn't have a space for Green River on the form where he recorded who was getting off where. When Dad got to Green River and asked some locals where the depot was he was told that "The train doesn't stop here anymore." (Green River 'cause we were on the way to Arizona to visit Grandma, so the farthest we could ride without asking Dad to go out of his way. To be honest, I was already pushing it asking Dad to go into Denver, he always tried to avoid that.) I'd heard that the train might be dropped soon and really, really wanted to ride it at least once. Almost 8 years later my soon to be bride had her first standard gauge ride (Grand Jct to Glenwood Springs) on the last #18. to put this just a bit on topic, her first train train ride had been on the D&SNG Cascade turn in January that year.

Hank
Subject Author Posted

Things found while packing up, first trip on the Silverton

hank May 20, 2019 09:39AM

Re: Things found while packing up, first trip on the Silverton Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen May 20, 2019 08:57PM

hank May 21, 2019 08:04AM

Re: Things found while packing up, first trip on the Silverton Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen May 21, 2019 07:51PM

hank May 22, 2019 08:08AM

Moosie68 May 23, 2019 10:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login