Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Doe River Gorge Threatened?

April 18, 2018 04:49PM avatar
I know that track and ROW well. I lived in the area, I don't know why they would make it a railtrail, because it doesn't really go from anywhere, to anywhere, any more. A significant portion of the ROW is privately owned, with homes built on it, in an area where trespassers are shot without warning. Or wind up squealing like a pig.

A couple of really large/long bridges are gone, so I don't know how you would "trail" past them. The west end of tunnel #1 drops 50 feet into the river, and would require, like, 300 feet of foot bridge to get into it. One of the tunnels, #4 I think, is collapsed, and would probably have to be opened to the sky, even for a foot trail.

Two other high trestles further along are in rough shape. I don't know about bridge engineering, but these bridges that once held freight trains are dilapidated to the point that they might not hold footpath decking without some revitalization. While people walk on them all the time, it's not encouraged.

5a18e0ec-2ab5-4a25-bd95-47308053aaee_d.JPG
afee9c6b7a0db7de5581363c4755b6a9.jpg

The road beneath the trestle (which is long gone), that the car is on, in the second shot is actually the ROW of the Laurel Fork Railroad, a short lived standard gauge logging railroad that was heavy with Shays.

[en.wikipedia.org] (for the Shay fans)

Some of the ROW is actual road, with one of the original trestles serving a residential area.

inddex.jpg

The guy that made that first video needs ECT.

~

Doug Frederick, Chama, New Mexico.

"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Slimrail Fan is 6.5 time zones, Pacific to Atlantic.

[picasaweb.google.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 10:08PM by Popeye8762.
Subject Author Posted

Doe River Gorge Threatened?

CVR220 April 18, 2018 04:03PM

et&wnc April 18, 2018 04:33PM

Re: Doe River Gorge Threatened? Attachments

Popeye8762 April 18, 2018 04:49PM

Wayne Laepple April 18, 2018 07:23PM

et&wnc April 19, 2018 09:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login