Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Doe River Gorge Threatened?

April 18, 2018 04:33PM avatar
First I've heard of it, but I don't see this being an issue.
The back side of the gorge already is a public road (going over a truss bridge near the site of the Blevins depot) and the gorge track is privately owned and has been so since at least the 1960s.
The front end of the gorge ends at a public highway, which was built across the right of way. Most of the track on the other side of the highway, going over the fame covered bridge at Hampton, is also private land and hard to make out where the tracks had been. Only once you go further past there do you hit a tunnel, then a giant open space where the covered truss bridge used to be but has been empty space since the 1950s across the Doe River again. Plenty of spaces along the route to Elizabethton are now covered by homes, businesses, what have you. The large bridge at Valley Forge is also missing.
In short, they'd have to declare eminent domain (which would be fought in the courts), rebuild a crazy amount of right of way and bridges (including several alternate paths as public roads go over several portions of the right of way into North Carolina), then put in a trail to a place hardly anyone would go?

-Lee

Flickr photo set of my On30 layout
Subject Author Posted

Doe River Gorge Threatened?

CVR220 April 18, 2018 04:03PM

et&wnc April 18, 2018 04:33PM

Re: Doe River Gorge Threatened? Attachments

Popeye8762 April 18, 2018 04:49PM

Wayne Laepple April 18, 2018 07:23PM

et&wnc April 19, 2018 09:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login