Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: D&S weekend

February 20, 2018 06:30AM
hudsonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, Jerry it is, says the 81 year old to the
> youngster.. At any rate, a good weekend.
> I might add that my daughters I phone got better
> night photos than my ole Cannon!
> Ron Morse

The I-Phones have some pretty good cameras in them these days, and the processing algorithms are also quite good. That said, any photo that is shot in a totally automatic mode will likely have some shortcomings that may not be visible in the 3-second glances that most people give them. I don't know how the D&S lit the night scenes, but if they were done with strobes, a tripod would be necessary and the user would have to find a way to put the phone's shutter in "bulb" mode.....something that would be completely foreign to most cell phone users. They'd also likely have to make some other manual set-ups as well. While I suspect that the capability to do this may be there, most users would be clueless, as they shoot fully automatic 99.99% of the time. With hot lights (continuously operating lamps), it would be far easier for an I-Phone to shoot in automatic mode.

If you have a Canon DSLR, a tripod, and a remote release trigger, you should be able to get decent quality images. It's just a matter of putting in the practice time required to allow you to dial-in the proper exposure in 3-4 attempts. I maintain that with a little practice, ANYONE can learn to do this. The key difference between older cameras and newer ones is how they handle ISO. If your camera has an older sensor, you would need to shoot at lower ISO and accept the fact that the steam and smoke from the locomotive will be a blurry blob. With a newer sensor, and the ability to go to higher ISOs, you can shoot shorter exposures and freeze the steam, so it looks more like the eye sees it.

/Kevin Madore
Subject Author Posted

D&S weekend

hudsonut1 February 19, 2018 04:42PM

Jerry474 February 19, 2018 05:01PM

hudsonut1 February 19, 2018 08:22PM

Bruce R. Pier February 19, 2018 08:36PM

Re: D&S weekend Attachments

Jerry474 February 19, 2018 09:07PM

KevinM February 20, 2018 06:38AM

Rick Steele February 22, 2018 09:43AM

Hoss February 22, 2018 12:25PM

KevinM February 20, 2018 06:30AM

Ohio_Narrow_Minded February 20, 2018 10:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login