Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tangent - turntable - Re: Colorado Eastern

July 20, 2017 09:14AM
Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry for my turntable.

I had been selling my gallows turntables on eBay only for some 3-4 years. It is based on an old Milscale 1970 era kit for an "H" framed gallows tuntable kit I liked and found out of production.

It has two basic versions that I call the "A" frame (SPNG Laws) and the "H" frame (D&RG). The kit came/comes in 50', 56' and 65' lengths. Available in HO, S, O, and On30 scales. There are two basic widths - standard gauge and narrow gauge.

The HO scale version I use as a finger turner. It can be mounted on top of an Atlas HO turntable for a powered turning mechanism. 9" in HO is about 65 feet long. so yes it can take K class 2-8-2s although it might look out of place.

All the wood is precut to length and sanded for clean ends. The assembly is straight forward. Instructions have a lot of photos showing the various steps of assembly. The "A" frame has a jig I use to precut the slope of the slanting legs on it. Additionally the "A" frame has three small fiddly bits that I do not cut to size since they are too small and need to fit inside the legs of the "A."

Instructions are available upon request for your review as well as an installation suggestion document showing ways to mount the turntable - manual or on an HO turntable for the HO model only.

The difference between the O scale narrow gauge turntable and the On30 version came from a customer who thought the beams of the O narrow gauge kit were too heavy and requested using S scale sized lumber.

The basic pricing may have changed. I do not know the cost of strip wood today but the NG&SLG pricing is probably still close to correct.

ngslg review.jpg

As always, I like to experiment, design, and create items. In the Hilton book (page 549) on American narrow gauges, there is what I call an "M" frame turntable. It appears to have been used by only one railroad. being intrigued, I built a model.

HPIM0309.jpg

IRN_Ilwaco_tt_half.jpg

I guess that is why I'm trying for the D&RG class 25 and class 35 steam locomotives.

Once again, thanks for the interest and patience for the sales ad. Hanging in with all I got, Bubba.

Doug vV

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.
Subject Author Posted

Colorado Eastern

dougvv July 19, 2017 09:35PM

Re: Colorado Eastern

rehunn July 19, 2017 10:47PM

dougvv July 20, 2017 01:09AM

hudsonut1 July 20, 2017 08:18AM

tangent - turntable - Re: Colorado Eastern Attachments

dougvv July 20, 2017 09:14AM

hudsonut1 July 20, 2017 03:59PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell July 20, 2017 08:57AM

brian budeit July 20, 2017 02:58PM

dougvv July 20, 2017 04:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login