Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Colorado Eastern

July 20, 2017 01:09AM
Hi,

Synopsys:

I was in the hospital for about 3 1/2 weeks ending July 2.

I returned due to swelling and my feet on about July 12. I was not admitted to the hospital.

Today, (July 19) I went back with one foot and part of the lower right leg in a dark red coloring on the right foot and on the arch of the left foot. I have diabetes type 2. Not being sure how concerned I should be, I spent seven hours in what one nurse said was the top five busiest ERs in the Nation. The Doctor checked me out and said I had no fever or swelling or ozing on the legs. He gave me some antibiotics for 10 days. I'm doing well all things considered. I have to return to a Doctor's office for a follow up and the taxi trip is about $40 one way. I'll scraping up the money but it is thin on the ground here.

Overall, I'm not in any discomfort and feel fine. The first visit in the hospital was for 3 + weeks and I lost a lot of stamina. I'm up to walking down the stairs to the garage and then out to the mailbox 2-3 times a day for exercise. My arms look like chicken legs but it will come back - it just takes time.

I'm learning how to watch out for items that I never had to before such as issues with my diabetes - never quite sure what to be concerned about at the moment or how serious it is. A bit afraid of calling "wolf" too often.

Thanks for asking.

No TV, just Dr Who and Stargate and John Wayne DVDs. I am a design engineer at heart so much time is taken with the class 25, class 35, class 42, and class 56 steam locomotives. The old SPARTAN series brass 4-4-0 from the 1970s is letting me learn a lot about how to design the class 25 frame. I have a rough design and am trying to find where I can get it cast in brass.

Experience with emachineshop.com has shown me that the setup charges for the machining eats up a lot of the price so that purchasing one part or 25 is little more than 2%-5% difference in total cost (depends on part complexity). Anyone want a class 25 loco? grinning smiley

I have taken the dimensions from the SPARTAN series 4-4-0 frame and cylinders and modifying them for the class 25 and class 35. The SPARTAN drawing is then stretched and modified into something resembling what I need for the D&RG prototype. I am a design engineer and love creating hings so this is fun and recreational for me. I hope to be able to reopen my small business so I can take care of myself - I do not care about getting "rich." The basic assumption is my time is FREE.

1) does anyone know where I might be able to get some brass castings made? If so, I'll 3D print the master at Shapeways. Not looking for an industrial business to do this.

2) drivers are a problem. The class 25 and class 35 need 40" drivers. The class 42 4-4-0 needs 45" drivers.

As an aside, I looked at the second order of class 35 2-6-0s. They are different from the original four (or so). However I can not resist the odd 1 truck, 1 pedistal 6-wheel tender.

I also looked at the class 48 0-6-0t. This is the one that RGS and D&RG owned. I am leaning away from building it. Heck I contacted PSC a while back (2 years ago maybe) about a another run again. Basic response was you pay us up front and we'll due it.

Even with the health problems I have, I am feeling good and hope to be getting stronger. If anyone wants a gallows turntable kit let me know. I can still manufacture them. I am a design engineer and not a salesman so if someone wants to have a few kits and sell them at train shows, let me know. My kits are not currently Craftsman level, just a basic kit that can be kept affordable for the teenager or modeler on a small income. It can be made into a craftsman model if desired. Once I get my 3D printer going, I may make a detail kit with NBW castings, for instance.

Take care.

Doug vV

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.
Subject Author Posted

Colorado Eastern

dougvv July 19, 2017 09:35PM

rehunn July 19, 2017 10:47PM

dougvv July 20, 2017 01:09AM

hudsonut1 July 20, 2017 08:18AM

tangent - turntable - Re: Colorado Eastern Attachments

dougvv July 20, 2017 09:14AM

hudsonut1 July 20, 2017 03:59PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell July 20, 2017 08:57AM

brian budeit July 20, 2017 02:58PM

dougvv July 20, 2017 04:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login