Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SVRy siding

March 31, 2017 01:58PM avatar
Jim posted my favorite SVRy photo! ROW maps of the SVRy are rare that date before the blue prints maps were made for the ICC circa 1916. Our archives does have a set of blue print maps that are fairly faded that appear to date from the 1910 construction of the extension from Austin to Prairie City. We have a set of partial ROW maps from McEwen West to Austin plus some related station plats that appear to have been done between 1910 and 1916. We also have a few station plats that are very early. Nothing I have seen shows the siding and spur Brian asks about. If it was after 1916, we would likely have a record of it, so I suspect it was fairly early and taken up by 1916. I have seen reference to one of the early extensions of the SVRy building to or past Clifford. Clifford was an early day settlement, perhaps stage station the location of which is about 1.5 miles N.E. of the siding location. Perhaps the siding was an early day accommodation for that settlement as it is about the closest point on the SVRy to that location. Or maybe prior to the mining/dredging that went on along the Burnt River to the N.E. of the siding spur location, a logging line was ran up the bottom of the valley which likely had big pine typical of the area and the siding was simply a way to handle empties in and loads out. All speculation I am afraid though I lean toward the siding being there for logging.
Subject Author Posted

SVRy siding

terry fosback March 30, 2017 09:35PM

Re: SVRy siding Attachments

Jim Grigsby March 31, 2017 12:10PM

J.B.Bane March 31, 2017 01:58PM

terry fosback March 31, 2017 06:08PM

Re: SVRy siding Attachments

J.B.Bane March 31, 2017 07:23PM

UnknownIdaho July 31, 2017 12:10AM

J.B.Bane July 31, 2017 09:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login