Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Trout Creek Pass 1984 - last

January 31, 2017 09:12PM
Hi,

Thanks. That triggers the correct memory.

The one photo does look like the Valley Line. In 1984 I rode Amtrak to Las Vegas and back to Salt Lake City. It was the first day the Desert Wind was rerouted over Sherman Hill (UP). Mom and I rode the replacement bus from Salt Lake City to Grande Junction.

There we rented a car and drove 1st up to the northern end of the Little Book Cliff Railroad (I think I have the name correct). Then down to Ridgway and Ouray and then back to Rigway along the RGS to Durango, down to Chaco Canyon, Aztec, Bloomfield, Salmon Ruins (I think I have that right), and then to Gato and up to Pagosa Springs, Chama, Alamosa, Up the valley line to Poncha Pass, Salida, Trout Creek to South Park City and Fairplay (where we learned about Casa Bonita) and Como.

I thought we drove to Breckenridge and then over Loveland Pass (my obligatory need to be up above the timber line I do every trip to Colorado), to Silver Plume to Golden and Denver on return to Atlanta GA via Amtrak via Chicago and Philadelphia. In Philly, Mom and I were surprised when we came out of the stairwell from the platforms to see most of Mom's family there (they had not mentioned they would be there). Mom lived in Harrisburg and they came over on SEPTA to visit for about 4 hours while Mom and I waited on the train to Atlanta.

However the photo does seem to be from my 1984 trip so I guess I used US 285 to Golden and went back up to Silver Plume and back.

I had a spiral bound notebook as a trip diary, but it was lost in my last move.

Thanks Again.

Doug vV

P.S. getting old sometimes means you can not recall something at will but if someone else can trigger the memory, it comes back.

--------------------------
Carrie Fisher quotes:

Instant gratification takes too long.

I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive.

--------------------------

Luna Lovelace (Harry Potter):

I sleepwalk you know that's why I wear shoes to bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2017 09:13PM by dougvv.
Subject Author Posted

Trout Creek Pass 1984 Attachments

dougvv January 30, 2017 12:56PM

Re: Trout Creek Pass 1984 - last Attachments

dougvv January 30, 2017 12:57PM

rtoahd January 31, 2017 08:28PM

dougvv January 31, 2017 09:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login