Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#19, C&TS track, others.

Jim Burrill
June 14, 2000 04:54PM
Well, I have to say that #19 still is not in running condition yet. I assisted in the process of changing a traction motor, with George Greenbaum, Richard Mitchell and the bosses' son, Dave McLaughlin. Let me tell you guys, this was probably the heaviest work I've done in my life, much heavier than my restoration work on my old building. Jacking up trucks, pulling, using Come-alongs, and the other things took a considerable amount of time. However, the new traction motor is in place, and hopefully the truck can be re-installed soon. The locomotive is also sitting on jacks at the moment. I've never jacked up a diesel before. It was an experience for sure. This locomotive was not designed for easy work on the truck assemblies.
By the way, Richard Mitchell is one of two railroaders I met who were working on the C&TS. Richard has much experience from days on the NWP prior to it's shutdown by the FRA. His experience makes him a good man to have around.
The other fella I met down there was Bill, didn't catch his last name, but he's been hired for trackwork coordination through the summer. He's got railroad experience from the Alaska RR.
These two guys were assisting some C&TS guys in using the Jordan Spreader this morning, westbound from Antonito to clear the brush near the track. This work should have been done long ago in my opinion. This is also good preparation for the upcoming rock trains and ballast work.
Incidentally, I'm told that the EBT hoppers are in terrible condition. Some parts are completely rusted away, there were trees growing in parts of several of the cars. It might have been prudent to find other cars. The expense of repairing these will be significant.
There is a considerable amount of work going on at Osier. The water tank is disassembled and the section house is being remodeled, apparently a project of the Colorado Historical Society.
Oh, for the fun of it, I drove from Antonito to Tres Piedras (No Agua) one evening. Almost the entire lenght of that roadgrade is still reasonably clear, running on BLM land. There is significant mining activity around Tres Piedras. There might be a possible need for a rail line sometime. Just a quick thought.
More later, Jim Burrill
Subject Author Posted

#19, C&TS track, others.

Jim Burrill June 14, 2000 04:54PM

Re: #19

Mike Oestreich June 14, 2000 05:06PM

Re: #19, etc,

Jim Burrill June 14, 2000 07:17PM

Re: #19, C&TS track, others.

Jay Wimer June 14, 2000 07:01PM

Re: #19, C&TS track, others.

Craig Kumler June 15, 2000 09:30AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.