Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What is it?

April 04, 2016 08:52AM
I have one identical in form to the Hewitt you found. I would have to dig it out to see what is lettered on it since I don’t exactly recall. I think it says Hewitt and something else. I have seen collections of old journal box lids which were apparently universally cast iron in the early period. There was a great variety of the general form including the provision to hinge open upward as they did until being replaced by roller bearings in the modern era.

Early lids also were made to rotate open on an axis bolt on one side of the box. The axis was perpendicular to the box opening. Some lids bolted on. A tapered, sliding connection as used on the Hewitt was also popular. Eventually, the cast iron lids became much lighter before pressed steel became the norm.

They varied in size, growing larger as axle and bearing sizes grew larger. One detail that makes journal box lids collectible is the initials of the owner railroad being cast into the lid face. I assume that the larger lid that you found is also a journal box cover.
Subject Author Posted

What is it? Attachments

terry fosback April 03, 2016 02:26AM

Ron Keagle April 04, 2016 08:52AM

terry fosback April 04, 2016 11:54AM

Mallory Hope Ferrell April 04, 2016 09:22AM

terry fosback April 04, 2016 11:50AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login