> What will happen after restoration is finished,
> will it go to the C&TS or the D&S or stay in
> Utah?
>
> Thank you!
>
> C&TS488fan
Lots of questions. Questions are good.
The 223 has been under restoration for the past 20 years. Yes that's a long time, the reasons have been discussed at length here before, basically it's because despite it's historical significance it has not received the publicity nor public support that other locomotives such as the 315 did.

It is being restored for the simple reason that it is a steam locomotive. What more excuse do we need? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out As one of only three C-16s remaining, and one of only two Grant-built locomotives left, and having participated in several wrecks, roundhouse fires and even brief political intrigue, it is an important historical piece.

The 2019 date was chosen both because of its significance in railroading history but also because the R&LHS national convention will be held in Idaho, and the Golden Spike Chapter being a part of that organization it is hoped that the 223 will be a defining part of the convention. I have not spoken to the Park Service employees about special events on their part but I am sure there will be something at Promontory. The Utah State Railroad Museum will naturally participate in some way. I personally would like to see the Leviathan at Promontory alongside the Jupiter, but I don't know what the NPS would think of a private-owner locomotive in the park.

After restoration the 223 will stay in Utah, but like the Eureka, 315, and other locomotives it will travel. We have had verbal guarantees from prominent persons from C&TS, Sumpter Valley and DSNG that the 223 will be welcome at future events, and some other important organizations have likewise kicked around the ideas of lease or loan.
Subject Author Posted

D&rgw 223...

C&TS488fan February 08, 2016 04:52PM

Re: D&rgw 223...

guymonmd February 08, 2016 05:03PM

D&RGW 223 February 08, 2016 06:16PM

C&TS488fan February 08, 2016 08:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login