Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Arizona Mineral Belt Railroad - the rest of the story

December 01, 2018 10:26AM
I was surprised to see this three year old post resurface considering that CO NG is the focus here. Thanks for the added details, comments and photos of other interesting artifacts in the area. I'll add a note to the original post to clarify that the hike that I detailed isn't necessarily on the AMB grade. Hopefully I'll get back up there in the spring to do some more exploring. I'd also like to check out the wye down in the valley that is visible from the air with low lake levels.

My maps use the Bing map interface and there is no separate file for the route as it is baked into the web page. As I do more exploring I can improve the accuracy since some segments may not be exactly on the grade but will get you in the general area.

I've been in AZ for a long time but I'm a little too young to have seen any operating steam other than when the GC line was opened back up. I could have caught some as a kid up at McNary or over by Superior but we didn't get too many family outings far from home. McCormick Ranch and one trip to Legend City were my only steam experiences until I was old enough to get out on my own.

Some of my other favorites in AZ:

The SFP&P grade in Limestone Canyon trying to picture the massive wood trestles that used to stand there SFP&P Map SFP&P Adventures

The long forgotten NG Magma grade for the closeness factor and the obscure grade - Magma AZ exploration

The NG Morenci Southern with 2.5 bridges still standing and a couple of tunnels that you can walk through Morenci Southern Map

The NG UV&P, yes it is mostly under a road but there are bypassed trestle sites, old metal drain pipes, hints of telegraph lines and stone culverts left behind and views of red rock country and the SF Peaks United Verde Map UVP&P Exploration

The tunnel along the A&P that I eventually got to visit Johnson Canyon Tunnel Map

Dave
Subject Author Posted

Arizona Mineral Belt Railroad - the rest of the story

ROW Explorer September 12, 2015 05:10PM

WCorvi November 26, 2018 06:25AM

MSRRKevin November 26, 2018 09:39AM

bcp November 26, 2018 09:39AM

Earl November 28, 2018 01:44PM

tripplej93 November 28, 2018 06:09PM

Dave Peterson November 29, 2018 08:10AM

Hadder November 29, 2018 09:26AM

tripplej93 November 29, 2018 11:54AM

ROW Explorer December 01, 2018 10:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login