Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: ET&WNC *LINK*

March 17, 2003 07:12PM
a little bit of info about the "Tweetsie"
From corprate website,
[Chartered in 1866 as the East Tennessee &
Western North Carolina Railroad, the line ran from Johnson City, Tennessee to Boone, North Carolina. RMC purchased the railroad in 1983. By that time, the line had been abandoned between Elizabethton, TN and Boone, NC. ETRY today runs from Johnson City to Elizabethton, TN, 11 miles serving eight customers. The ETRY handles lumber, aluminum ingots, pulpboard, wire rod, propane gas, waste oil and contaminated soil.]
the ET&WNC interchanged with the Southern AND Clinchfield in Johnson City Tenn,up until the 1940's the railroad had "3 rail" operation to Elizabethton and 3 foot narrow gauge on to Boon North Carolina, the main shops and offices are in Johnson city,also some ET&WNC locomotives were drafted in WW2 and served alongside K27's in Alaska!
this line runs thru the doe river gorge,and is said by many to be an incredible sight,rivaling the D&S's Highline!!!Today the doe river gorge is owned by a Christian camp and they HAVE thru the use of highly dedicated volunteers rebuilt 3 miles of track to the gorge, borrowed an un-used steam locomotive from a theme park,now a steam locomotive ply the tracks of the gorge,you also can hike to the gorge or ride a motorcar! I will leave links at the bottom of this message they are some amazing pictures on Chris Fords website!I wish I could tell you more about the "tweetsie" but I have just started a study of it myself!!
BTW i was not talking about the "tweetsie railroad " park in Boon North Carolina that operates former ET&WNC #12 and White Pass and yukon #190 2-8-2, i think on that last one??
enjoy fellow narrow gaugers!!!
Subject Author Posted

ET&WNC

John Irwin March 16, 2003 08:57PM

Re: ET&WNC *LINK*

Andy J March 17, 2003 07:12PM

ET&WNC #10 and #14 *LINK* *PIC*

MJ March 17, 2003 08:00PM

dagnabit, my fingers got crossed!!! *LINK*

Andy J March 17, 2003 09:06PM

thot so!

MJ March 17, 2003 10:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.