Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Problems with open access to railroads - SG incident with ng implications

July 28, 2015 03:10AM avatar
I recall Earl once mentioned something to the effect that the Chama yard is actually on a 1% grade, higher on the east end and lower on the west end, which means all rolling stock in Chama must be carefully chocked in addition to handbrakes. So yes, it is a concern.

The recent runaway incident in Utica, New York which Doug refers to is really distressing to me, since the little 0-6-0 the covered hopper smashed into, New York Central 6721, is a favorite of mine and truly a gem of an engine -- a rare survivor of NYC steam and remarkably well preserved (until now). She was on display right alongside Utica Union Station just feet from the old NYC main on what was formerly the station track for the NYO&W, now just a siding. There was a bumper in front of her, but the hopper smashed right through that and kept on going. By stopping the runaway car she undoubtedly saved the lives of multiple Amtrak passengers who just happened to be waiting on the platform at that very moment, but the damage appears to have been severe.

In better days (photo from [[url=http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/travelogues/120613A/634-2089.jpg]trainweb.org[/url]]):

[[url=http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/travelogues/120613A/630-1882.jpg]trainweb.org[/url]]

-Philip Marshall

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 03:49AM by philip.marshall.
Subject Author Posted

Problems with open access to railroads - SG incident with ng implications

dougvv July 27, 2015 11:59PM

Chris Walker July 28, 2015 02:14AM

philip.marshall July 28, 2015 03:10AM

nedsn3 July 28, 2015 04:19PM

Re: Problems with open access to railroads - SG incident with ng implications Attachments

jalbers July 28, 2015 04:34PM

RattlerJones July 28, 2015 05:05PM

Dave Peterson July 28, 2015 05:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login