Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mine to Mill , Part two

February 05, 2003 10:21PM
For some reason mines and mills rarely were built next to each other .It may be that mines were often in very remote locations ,and mills needed to be near a good water source ,like a river . Often ore was transported by wagon and later by truck to the mill .Some mines ,Like the Sheanadoah-Dives mine near Silverton ,was on a high mountain side ,and a spectacular tramway transported the ore in buckets down the mountain to the top of the Mayflower Mill .Buckets also took miners and supplies up to the mine .Aerial trams were popular in the Colorado Rockies ,as many mines were so remote that they were inaccessable even by road .The Ophir tramhouse straddling the RGS mainline came from the Alta Mine a couple of miles high above the station .The Smuggler-Union mill originally was served by a tramway ,but later had the ores fed to it directly by the Idarado mine . This was another pattern in mining .Mills originally built to serve one mine ended up serving other mines . the Mayflower was part of A mining complex on the east side of the Animas River .Later it served the American Tunnel at Gladstone ,to the west .
A number of mine-to mill railroads ran in the American West as late as the 1990s . Some were "island' operations ,with no outside links . the famous Virginia and Truckee started as a mine-to-mill road ,transporting Comstock ores from Virginia City mines to the stamp mills along the Carson River . Later the owners built a connection to the Central pacific at Reno . Several interesting mine-to-mill roads existed in Arizona .One 30-inch gauge line had its second hand Forney-style 0-4-4 transported 40 miles by a team of oxen ! Another five mile line ran in the hills southeast of Tucson at Helvetia ,with a Shay and a0-4-0 . The last big mine-to-mill operation was the San Manuel Arizona R.R. ,a 9-mile line .It had a control car on the back of the train and, after unloading at the mill, the ore train ran 40 mph backwards ! Some mines shipped their ores qiute soem distance by rail to a mill ,Custom mills often handle ores from small mines .
Mills were ideally situated close to good transportation . Besides shipping concentrates out ,they always needed new pumps ,pipes ,and specilty equipment brought in . The milled product ,the concentrates ,while far easier to ship than ore ,but still problematical . Concentrate was heavy - 70 pounds a shovelful ! SO they were loaded over the bolsters of the trucks ,preferably in box cars so they would not get snow or ice in them . Overloading could and did break the arch bars in the truck .It also ,due to all the chemical reagents would tear up the wood floors and stain the sides ,as indicated by some of the surviving box cars today .
Subject Author Posted

Mine to Mill , Part two

El Coke February 05, 2003 10:21PM

Re: Mine to Mill , Part two

R.Dittus February 06, 2003 09:17AM

Re: Mine to Mill , Part two

Jerry Day February 06, 2003 09:49AM

Re: Smelters and Mills

Brian Barr February 06, 2003 10:13AM

Re: Smelters and Mills

Cal Smith February 07, 2003 08:12PM

Cyanide leaching

El Coke February 08, 2003 12:07AM

Re: Cyanide leaching

Cal Smith February 10, 2003 05:56PM

You missed it , Jerry.

El Coke February 06, 2003 04:55PM

Re: You missed it , Jerry.

Jerry Day February 06, 2003 05:42PM

"Dumb Question" time

RichB February 06, 2003 06:46PM

Custom milling

El Coke February 06, 2003 11:12PM

Re: Custom milling

Chile John February 07, 2003 09:31AM

Blending Ore

Chile John February 07, 2003 09:24AM

Re: Blending Ore

El Coke February 07, 2003 02:05PM

Re: Blending Ore

El Coke February 07, 2003 02:07PM

I will try it one more time , Jerry.

El Coke February 06, 2003 11:00PM

I also will try it one more time , Jerry.

Jerry Day February 07, 2003 07:25AM

Reread my article ,Jerry . *NM*

El Coke February 07, 2003 07:44AM

Re: Reread my article ,Jerry .

Jerry Day February 07, 2003 10:12AM

definitions

El Coke February 07, 2003 01:57PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.