Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Need Your Help

June 04, 2014 07:54AM avatar
Agreed, the hand painted ones are the best.

For many years while living and working in Durango, I always “eyeballed” the remains of the freight section of the Mancos depot, west of Durango. It was apparent that this portion of the structure had been slightly relocated and was being used as an outbuilding. The station sign, even though un-readable, was still attached to the surviving freight end of the depot. One day, when my wife and I were passing through town, I finally decided to work up the courage to go ask the owners of the property if they would be willing to part with the sign. It turned out that the property was for sale, and the house was empty. The real-estate office was there in Mancos, so I went there to talk with them about my request and to see if I could contact the owner. It turns out that the property was owned and being sold by an investment group. The local realtor gave them a call (New York) and explained what I was interested in and was willing to pay or replace in kind. They said “as long as it doesn’t detract from the looks of the house….take it.” The local realtor typed up a letter indicating it was OK for me to go to the property and obtain the artifact. I immediately went home (Hermosa), grabbed a ladder and a friend from the railroad to assist, returned to Mancos and with very little effort, removed the sign from the remains of the depot. After getting it home, I could see where the grain of the wood was raised where the lettering was applied by hand, even though the paint was long gone. I very carefully took a sign lettering brush and re-painted the letters. I believe the remains of the freight section are no longer there, so I guess I was lucky to get it when I did.
DSCN0020.JPG
Mancos 3.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Need Your Help

Ohio_Narrow_Minded June 02, 2014 11:51AM

drgwk37 June 02, 2014 04:49PM

Fritz Klinke June 03, 2014 01:18PM

davegrandt June 03, 2014 03:48PM

Casey Akin June 03, 2014 04:17PM

Re: Need Your Help Attachments

MD Ramsey June 04, 2014 07:54AM

Casey Akin June 03, 2014 04:20PM

ROW Explorer June 04, 2014 07:31AM

Re: Need Your Help Attachments

davegrandt June 04, 2014 09:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login