Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Early RR photographists

December 02, 2002 07:20PM
While it is no trouble imagining why one would be inclined to go to some trouble today to photograph steam operations, due to their novelty, ... in the context of the times that Perry, Poor, and Kindig were shooting a lot of their stuff, steam was nothing out of the ordinary. In a modern context, it might be like me driving to hell and back to photograph subdivisions being built! For anyone unfamiliar with driving today's roads from Denver (where Perry lived) to say ... Lizard's Head Pass on the RGS, it could be a 5+ hour drive via Durango! For Perry, in his '35 Chevy, on rough and unpaved roads, this took unbelievable devotion! The kicker is that these guys did it ALL THE TIME! I'm trying to imagine what Perry told his wife about heading out for the 11,000th time to go shoot pictures of something so commonplace! And what about film and developing costs? Not to mention gas and other expenses! I'd get about as far as the front door before my wife dropped me with a brick! ;-D We all owe them such a huge thank you for what they did, but I am always left wondering, at a time when steam railroading was common everywhere, .... what made these guys tick?!!!! They spent one helluva lot of time AND money to pursue something that today is unusual, but in their day was as common as dirt!
Subject Author Posted

Early RR photographists

South Park November 30, 2002 11:38AM

rdmstr November 30, 2002 07:26PM

Ron welch December 01, 2002 09:14PM

Greg Scholl December 02, 2002 07:02AM

A Description of Otto Perry...

Rick Steele December 02, 2002 07:47AM

Jim Armstrong December 02, 2002 07:54AM

Rick Steele December 02, 2002 08:16AM

South Park December 02, 2002 07:20PM

Rick Steele December 03, 2002 11:50PM

Jim Adams December 06, 2002 08:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.