Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yere welcome, and just a bit more info.

Mik
June 03, 2002 03:25PM
Pics are due back from the developer's on Thursday or Friday, and will TRY to post a couple (I still haven't gotten most of last August's trip scanned...mebbe they'll all get put on one page)
One thing the tour guide said was that they USED to run the lineshaft briefly (via electric power or steam?) on the shop tours in the 60s, but that the building had deteriorated too much to do that anymore. While leveling the floor and fixing/repainting the siding ARE badly needed, I'm not sure that replacing the entire roof (and rafters) isn't perhaps more so. There were at several spots that had been shored up in one way or another. And as I mentioned before, the beam directly over the steam engine had cracked and failed resulting in the engine basically being entombed in a huge wooden cage to support the roof above.
The EBT sure could have used some of those millions that the RRers Memorial Museum (in Altoona) went through like water in recent years. Somebody I talked to (another foamer, not someone with the FEBT or EBT) said that in HIS opinion it might take $30 mil to get the place back into decent shape.....still, the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. So, if you can, buy a ticket or two, or a t-shirt (or a bit of old rail, or used spike, or a book, or whatever) from the giftshop...
Subject Author Posted

EBT opening weekend, and musings

Mik June 02, 2002 01:03AM

Re: EBT opening weekend, and musings

Les Clark June 02, 2002 08:51AM

Shop tour

Mik June 02, 2002 10:42AM

Re: Shop tour

Erik Ledbetter June 02, 2002 07:48PM

Mik June 02, 2002 09:27PM

Les Clark June 03, 2002 11:22AM

Yere welcome, and just a bit more info.

Mik June 03, 2002 03:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.