Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 1968 Project Update

May 31, 2010 08:01PM
Tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wILL THE DVD'S HAVE SOUND ADDED TO THEM?

Nope...Like 95% of all movies in this time frame they were shot silent.
We will have music and narration throughout, but no fake dubbed train sounds, even though I have a pretty good amount of C&TS video with sound over the years. One is not going to get the speed right of the old stuff, and the whistles are changed thus it would be tough to duplicate them.
I tend to not dub in fake sounds unless I have the authentic audio, which we have done with a few, such as our DM&IR, which is rare to have.
Too many of my competitors dub in sounds that are not even the correct railroads, let alone the right class. Case in point was finding my South Africa 3436 pacing sequence in someone's 1950's B&O video!!!
In some respects dubbing this stuff would be easier, but I don't want to change history. If I put in any old sounds, then some kid will someday watch it and think its correct for those engines, when in reality it isn't. I know most of the guys dub the sound, and folks think these things are inferior if they don't have the live sound, but remember sound movies did not occur until about 1975 or thereabouts. My first sound super 8 movie camera was 1977!!!
One should enjoy these for the rare images they are. Remember these are MOVIES not still images(although I have included several stills in the show). When you look at stills you don't expect sound. Just be happy we have MOVEMENT, and not a slide show. To me the movies are rarer than slides, since most people took stills back in those days. Even we shot mostly slides, and movies were an extra luxury. I included slides on the portion the Scholl family chased, mainly to fill in spots where my brother did not shoot movies. He was shooting movies, slides, and B&W! Its a wonder he got as much as he did. In the case of Ernie Robart, he too shot movies secondarily to stills. On the last Cumbres Turn in July he shot 2 locations of movies and that was it. On the second run from Chama he shot only stills, and no movies. So, we are happy to have what we have.
Hopefully folks will enjoy seeing the historic images, and how most of 1968 is chronicled with many operating days in the films, and a few in stills like the National Park Train of 1968. There are 6 slides of John West showing the first train, and some slides by Russ Sperry of the last Alamosa-Chama-Alamosa trains, since we had no films. However Ernie does have the last freight from Durango to Farmington well covered on movies, plus some of the stuff in October, and the last trains December 5-6. There is a wealth of material here, and to me an important chapter of the the NG history, being the last year of freight service, and bringing down the curtain on class 1 steam ops in the U.S.
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

1968 Project Update Attachments

Greg Scholl May 31, 2010 09:34AM

Samart May 31, 2010 10:02AM

FordCVP71 May 31, 2010 10:40AM

CharlieMcCandless May 31, 2010 03:45PM

John E. Bull May 31, 2010 04:37PM

Tomstp May 31, 2010 05:44PM

Greg Scholl May 31, 2010 08:01PM

nedsn3 May 31, 2010 07:45PM

Re: 1968 Project Update - and 2010 special

Russo Loco June 03, 2010 12:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login