Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alpine Tunnel Station and Boarding House video

May 14, 2020 06:07PM
I have mostly been on C&S-specific forums, but realized there are some here that might enjoy some South Park Line films I've put together.

In the most recent, I put together a video with a focus on the telegraph office/station and two-story boarding house at the West Portal of Alpine Tunnel. The video shows the changes over the years from operation to abandonment and decay to restoration.

I also show the inside of the present restored telegraph office.

My footage comes from our 2018 trip to the tunnel. We rented ATVs, but due to the closure of the right-of-way just past Sherrod Loop we had to walk to the station complex. We headed up grade for quite a while. At one point, though, because we had a time limit on our ATV rental, I figured there was no way we could all reach the tunnel in time. I decided to turn around, but my 10 year old egged me on to have the two of us give it a try. So we left the rest of the family a little past the Palisades and hustled in the thin mountain air. We never made it to the tunnel itself, but did get to the station area. I'm thankful for my adventurous daughter who pushed me on!

The drone footage was filmed by Dave Moore who graciously gave me permission to use it.

You can also see a bunch of the other films on my Youtube channel: Search for the C&S narrow gauge.

Enjoy!
Kurt
Alpine Tunnel Station thumbnail.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Alpine Tunnel Station and Boarding House video Attachments

Kurt Maechner May 14, 2020 06:07PM

Re: Alpine Tunnel Station and Boarding House video

BillGrierson May 14, 2020 06:49PM

Kurt Maechner May 14, 2020 07:13PM

hank May 14, 2020 09:30PM

BillGrierson May 15, 2020 09:52AM

Jason Rose May 15, 2020 06:55AM

Stewart Rhine May 15, 2020 03:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login