Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

United Verde & Pacific map overlay

February 07, 2010 06:51PM
One of the abandoned NG grades that we have to explorer here in AZ is the United Verde and Pacific. This line starts north of Prescott in Chino Valley at a location known as Jerome Junction. At this Junction it met up with the SG Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix. Construction of the line started in 1894 to provide a cheaper method of transporting copper from the mine in Jerome. The line was about 26 miles long with the eastern terminus at the mine in Jerome. Much of the grade can be driven today with a nice mile-by-mile write up in Russell Wahmann's "Verde Valley Railroads". I have driven the route a few times and usually start on the west end and arrive in Jerome in time for dinner at The Haunted Hamburger.

One of the things that I have often wondered is how the grade looked at the Jerome end where the more recent mining activity has destroyed most traces. The last thing that you can really see on public land is the wye north of the mine with one tail heading beyond a locked gate. My recent trip to Washington provided an opportunity to acquire the maps for this line. Using these I have put together an overlay that shows the grade beyond what can be driven on forest road 318. It would be fun to explore the short stretch south of the wye that winds around and enters the mine site from the west side. That would probably be the most undisturbed section of the old grade.

UJPJeromeOverview.JPG

This next overlay is an enlargement of the mine site. As you can see there has been lots of activity here since the abandonment of the line. There most likely wouldn't be any traces left past where the grade turns east into the mine site.

Time to start thinking about another trip up along the UV&P smiling smiley

UVPMine.JPG

Dave
Subject Author Posted

United Verde & Pacific map overlay Attachments

ROW Explorer February 07, 2010 06:51PM

Re: United Verde & Pacific map overlay

Skip February 08, 2010 06:16PM

Re: Skip?? In SEDONA???? ... confused smiley

Russo Loco February 09, 2010 12:43PM

Skip February 10, 2010 10:33AM

Russo Loco February 10, 2010 12:28PM

Ed Stabler February 10, 2010 01:06PM

Skip February 10, 2010 01:29PM

ROW Explorer February 09, 2010 08:00PM

bcp February 08, 2010 10:20PM

Re: United Verde & Pacific map overlay Attachments

ROW Explorer February 09, 2010 07:18PM

Re: United Verde & Pacific map overlay Attachments

ROW Explorer February 09, 2010 07:33PM

jim pallow February 09, 2010 05:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login