Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Knotts dinner train

December 14, 2009 09:56AM
First I want to say that I am sorry it has taken so long to post this account and the length of this post, but the flight back to Alabama yesterday took way too long due to airline problems in Atlanta.

Saturday will be a day to remember. As the song goes "it never rains in Southern California", but as the second line says "It pours,man, It pours!"

We arrived at the park at 5:45 to meet Jason at the main re-entry gate. Because of some mis-communication between the gate attendants and security, it took us until 6:00pm to get past the gates to the train. Once on the train, Jason made every effort to make his guests comfortable - especially since it was still raining quite hard and coach 326 has no windows! After a few minutes of introductions, and I have to apologize for not remembering all of your names, the train whistle blew and it was off for the first loop around the park.

As we approached the shop, I got my first look at Goose #3! Then moments later, Caboose 0402, and then finally 340 in her stall. With all the lights that Knott's has in the shop, 340 looks like she is in a new car dealership and this is the prized floor model!

Continuing around the loop we returned to the station. This time I got up and wandered around the coach. The inside of the car still looks very original. Expect for the modern interior lights and upholstered seats, this car looked and sounded like it would have had 100 years ago. In response to a previous comment; Yes, the stock car had a folding metal scissor gate separate the stock car from coach 326, so that the park guests would remain separated from our special trip. It was during this stop that I met Jason's mom and Dad, along with Shannon's (our fireman) mother, father, and grandmother.

Dinner was brought aboard and the first dinner seating occurred while we started our second trip around the park. During this trip, I tried to take some pictures as we passed the Forney, the goose, and 0402. But again, the lighting, the rain, and movement of the coach all conspired against me to get any pictures worth posting. I wish that I had the lighting that Roger has been using in Chama to take some night pictures on Saturday.

After a couple more loops and a very interesting conversation with a gentleman whom I have forgotten his name about the Pasadena Narrow Gauge Model Railroad Club, Jason informed us that we could go back into the Durango for the second dinner setting.

It was better than I expected! To be able to sit in this car and know that car with some minor changes it what it looked like at the when it was brought to Knott's - some 50 years ago is amazing! Each table had a white Rio Grande Royal Gorge/Moffat Herald painted in the center. Dinner was the world famous Knott's fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn with red bell peppers, and biscuits! Drinks included Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Boysenberry Punch! Dessert was Boysenberry Pie. Everything tasted delicious. Did I mention that we did two loops around the park as we ate? Sitting in the chair, feeling a slight rock from the train, hearing the squeaks made each moment in the Durango very special.

Finally, because they had to get the final dinner setting in and done before the wait staff were done with their shift, my wife and I went to the back observation platform had our pictures taken on the back of Durango by our very gracious host before walking to #41.

Now, if that was not the highlight - riding in the cab of 41 was! Jeff - your passion of steam railroading is in credible! Thank you very much for your tour of the business end of #41. We got to do two trips around the park without stopping while my wife and I stood right behind the cab on the tender deck watching the glow of the firebox and looking over Jeff and Shannon's shoulders to see . I had a wonderful lesson on the differences firing #41 and #340. I truly believe that the reason why I love steam is because each locomotive is an individual and after listening to Jeff talk about #41 and #340 you would also believe that too!

After the second loop, it was time to go because of the early flight from LAX on Sunday.

I want to personally thank, the entire Knott's Berry Farm crew for their time on Saturday. Their passion, professionalism, and dedication to preserving this important part of Narrow Gauge History is evident in everything that they do. I want to also thank Jason for arranging this dinner train. I understand that this was the first time since the Durango arrived at Knott's Berry Farm, that it has traveled more than a couple of feet because of switching, and his persistence and desire to share this car with the Knott's Railroad Family and Friends made it worth the trip.

Jason, if you ever decide to hold this event again, please let us know. I will be glad to travel to Knott's -- even if it is in the rain -- to do this magical trip again! You are an incredible person for your vision and persistence in getting this event to happen. If you or any of the Knott's crew are in Alabama, yet me know and I will try to return the hospitality you showed us on Saturday.

Now for the pictures. I took almost 50 pictures - but probably 10 are worth viewing because of the darkness or water on the lens that made the picture un-viewable. Since I am at work I do not have the ability to edit these photos right now so that they fit the 200kb size, but I wanted to share with you all the story and adventure of Saturday.

I will post my photos later today.
Subject Author Posted

Knotts dinner train

John Cole December 01, 2009 06:27PM

Roger Hogan December 01, 2009 07:52PM

jalbers December 02, 2009 08:50AM

Russo Loco December 02, 2009 11:33AM

John Cole December 02, 2009 01:46PM

Bruce R. Pier December 02, 2009 02:31PM

dandtsrr2 December 03, 2009 12:07AM

Jeff Taylor December 03, 2009 05:34PM

Jason Van Horn December 04, 2009 05:22PM

John Cole December 04, 2009 09:53PM

TUnfried December 05, 2009 08:26AM

John Cole December 05, 2009 10:58AM

Jason Van Horn December 14, 2009 10:32PM

Jason Van Horn December 10, 2009 01:26PM

dandtsrr2 December 13, 2009 01:48AM

Tom Platten December 13, 2009 10:41AM

dandtsrr2 December 13, 2009 09:05PM

AlabamaNGFan December 14, 2009 09:56AM

John Cole December 14, 2009 10:43AM

Russo Loco December 14, 2009 11:49AM

Ten Wheeler December 14, 2009 04:33PM

Bruce R. Pier December 14, 2009 05:43PM

mransr December 14, 2009 07:56PM

Re: Knotts dinner train Attachments

AlabamaNGFan December 14, 2009 08:10PM

Re: Knotts dinner train Attachments

AlabamaNGFan December 14, 2009 08:14PM

Jeff Taylor December 14, 2009 09:13PM

DRGW456 December 14, 2009 09:17PM

Jeff Taylor December 14, 2009 09:34PM

TUnfried December 15, 2009 01:43PM

DRGW456 December 15, 2009 03:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login