Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: K-36 Main Rod question?

July 16, 2009 11:50PM
Take a look at the photo of 488 taken in Salida in 1930, posted under the title #488 With Dual Gauge Couplers. It appears to me that the left side main rod may still have the split type big end bushing.

I would guess that when the D&RG built the K37's beginning in 1928, they may have made the decision to go with the full-floating bushings on the K36's as well since Burnham would have been tooled up to make the main rods at that time. They probably would have continued using the split bushing rods till the bushing pockets became worn and deformed, requiring either new bushings or replacement of the rods, which would probably occur within a year's time under heavy usage. Note that the wrist pin bushing on the replacement main rods was still of the split type. These also were gradually phased out much later for solid round bushings, though some of the split type are still in service in Chama and perhaps Durango as well.

On the original drawings for the K36's, currently in the posession of the D&SNG, there are numerous interesting notes. While I looked at the drawings for the main and side rods many times, I don't remember if there were any notes regarding the early split type big-end bushings.
Subject Author Posted

K-36 Main Rod question?

chris king July 15, 2009 04:21PM

Mark Yeamans July 16, 2009 11:50PM

chris king July 17, 2009 01:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login