Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 3 ways you know your almost to Chama

August 20, 2001 05:28PM
My first year to do a work session with the friends, I struck a deer as I was just outside of Chama. (trust me, at that moment 85 octane was the LEAST of my problems!!). Totaled the car, cut myself from flying glass pretty badly.
A very kind gentleman got me in his truck (he was heading north to find work). I showed up on Foster's doorstep at 6:30 AM, still bleeding quite a bit. The first person I met was was Ralph Flowers who was eating breakfast. I was well attended to by the Chama area paramedic who said that I needed to see the local clinic when they opened. I went ahead and attended the safety meetin at 8:00 since the clinic did not open until 9:00. Who was giving the safety lecture? RALPH FLOWERS! He always talked about how few injuries have occured doing the kinda dangerous work we do on the C&TS..then he noticied me in the crowd, still wearing the same shirt, covered in blood (both mine and the poor deer's).
Worked for Parker that year, on the coal tipple. Parker was also very kind as I was operating with only one good hand (right hand was up to mid forarm in bandages) and so really was only good to be a go-fer.
I know I am getting near Chama every time I see a deer crossing warning sign! (even if it is in a different state!)
Spanish language, "Chama time", cows ( and other critters) on the road, businesses that close at dusk, that close on Sunday, that close when one of the owners children are sick, all the things that make that area unique..that is why I keep coming back!
P.S.: for all y'all that do not know me, have healed completely and have attended work session for the past four year without another deer incident!
-Clyde (aka Deerslayer)
Subject Author Posted

3 ways you know your almost to Chama

Chris Whitmore August 16, 2001 10:38PM

John Vandenberg August 17, 2001 07:26AM

Dennis O'Berry August 19, 2001 09:09PM

Re: 5 ways you know you're almost to Chama

jaybawb August 17, 2001 09:04AM

Fred August 17, 2001 12:08PM

Teach That Dog to Suck Eggs... *NM*

Herb Kelsey August 17, 2001 01:19PM

Chris Whitmore August 17, 2001 01:29PM

jaybawb August 17, 2001 04:20PM

3 ways you know your IN Chama

Richb August 17, 2001 02:12PM

the hoghead August 17, 2001 05:35PM

Clyde (aka Deerslayer) August 20, 2001 05:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.