Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Old Steam recordings

March 25, 2009 06:35AM avatar
Charlie, much of what you're looking for was released in the 70s on a seven-volume set of LPs (remember those?) entitled "The Rattle and the Roar" recorded by the late C. M. "Bud" Edmonds. Bud at one time had owned KCMS AM & FM in Manitou Springs, CO and, as a State Representative, worked with Clarence Quinlan of the San Luis Valley to save what became the C&TS in 1970.

Vols. IV and VI of the series have the sounds of the C&TS in 1970. Vol. VII is all whistles and has the last blast from the whistle of Midland Terminal 2-8-0 #60 after the last run from Cripple Creek pulled in to Colorado Springs on 20 Feb 1949.

There was a wire recording made by a reporter from KVOR radio in Colorado Springs on the last MT train. I have a copy of a copy on 1/4" tape I got from Bud years ago, but AFAIK, it's never been released to the public. I have no idea if the original wire recording even remains in existence today.

These and others you're looking for may well be available on line. You might want to check with Jay Wimer at Chama Steam. He recently advertised Vols. IV and VI on CD. BTW there has been little success in locating either the master tapes of this series or information regarding just who has the copyrights and where they might be. I'm sure accurate information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 06:41AM by Ed Stabler.
Subject Author Posted

Old Steam recordings

CharlieMcCandless March 25, 2009 05:11AM

Ed Stabler March 25, 2009 06:35AM

round_house March 25, 2009 07:25PM

Ed Stabler March 26, 2009 06:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login