Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

South/Central American Steam Questions

February 23, 2009 02:35PM
All of the recent posts on Ecuadorian steam have reminded me of a few questions that I had that I figured somebody here would know about (Thanks to all of those who have been posting first-hand info...its much appreciated and aside from the International Steam Site, there is little out on the web from what I've found.

The G&Q in Ecuador and IRCA and El Salvadorian lines were still running a lot of steam from what I could tell well into the 70's and of course much later. I have an issue of a magazine from 1982 (Steam Quarterly?) that discusses steam around the world, not with me unfortunately. Anyway, it had rosters for the lines in El Salvador and Ecuador that were at least then recent. I recall that most of the El Salvadorian steam was on the scrap line by the 1970's, with only mostly ex-IRCA power still in service, and the G&Q still rostered many engines.

My question is, what were the latest dates of most of the IRCA/El Salvadorian/G&Q steam engines scrapped? (I know they are all very different locales and different histories, but I figured they still all fit under the international banner). I'm guessing that no or few engines have been scrapped since the 1980's, but, I don't know if I have ever seen anything that actually pinpoints dates or timeframes.

Another question, with at least the former IRCA and G&Q attempting over the recent past to attract tourists, are many of the older coaches on the lines actually still used? I ask because I noticed that the G&Q appeared to be building new coaches and was curious if the climate and lack of upkeep on older equipment (Not a jab at employees on these lines, my hats off to them for doing amazing work with very little and with a great deal of ingenuity!) means most of these older cars becomes permanently unserviceable.

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight!
Subject Author Posted

South/Central American Steam Questions

Grant Houston February 23, 2009 02:35PM

Re: South/Central American Steam Questions

DWBrown February 23, 2009 04:29PM

DWBrown February 23, 2009 04:42PM

Grant Houston February 28, 2009 08:27PM

Tom Moungovan February 23, 2009 11:05PM

DWBrown February 24, 2009 11:38PM

Olaf The Red February 25, 2009 01:23AM

Grant Houston February 28, 2009 08:29PM

Tom Moungovan February 28, 2009 09:55PM

50 engines

John West March 01, 2009 09:06AM

Re: 50 engines

usmc1401 March 01, 2009 03:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login