Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Boiler Explosion !

Mik
July 30, 2001 09:24AM
I read the reports last night with a sinking heart. The pictures show what looked like a relatively fresh restoration, and the description sounded like possibly a crown failure. I found the reports on all news sources (attributed to the local fire chief) of flying "hot oil" very puzzling. Was the water THAT bad? Hot mud would be more likely.
The state of Ohio has, but does not require, state inspections, but rather each club usually does its own, and most are at LEAST as thorough as the state would be, because the people know what they are looking at, and to look for.
From what I've read this engine had possibly just arrived on site, and would not have had time to be inspected there, yet. Another (unofficial and unconirmed) report said that shortly before the accident the local police pulled the entire engine crew away from manning the engine to cite them for driving it to the fairgrounds on a paved road. Stupid, stupid.
Yes, this was a terrible accident,and my heart goes out to the families. But it could become a real tragedy if a few politicians, out to make some cheap hay, use it as an excuse to railroad through legislation that mothballs ALL steam in the US...including RRs But it wouldn't take that much, just passing a few new requirements that sound reasonable, but make them too onerous and expensive to operate (remember, steam tractors are operated out of love and nostalgia, and sometimes ego, they don't generate revenue, except for the show promoters) would accomplish the same end. The fact that more people are injured on quads and motorcycles in a single month, than by steam engines in the last 2 decades won't mean didly.
Can't happen? The investigation has barely begun and there are already a few morons calling for the banning of ALL steam engines at public expositions. Just because it was not a locomotive, does not mean that all the railfans can afford to sit idly by. Most outsiders and politicians don't know, or care, about such distinctions.
THAT, friends, should scare the hell out of you.
Subject Author Posted

Boiler Explosion !

El Coke July 30, 2001 07:28AM

Mike Trent July 30, 2001 08:01AM

Fred T July 30, 2001 08:42AM

Mik July 30, 2001 09:24AM

Bik July 30, 2001 11:23AM

Re: Trolls

ncng9 July 30, 2001 01:15PM

Don Richter July 30, 2001 01:25PM

Re: Good Point..

ncng9 July 30, 2001 01:47PM

Curtis F. July 30, 2001 03:23PM

If you want more information ...

Brian Norden July 30, 2001 08:38PM

Re: If you want more information ...

K Brand July 31, 2001 06:57AM

Re: If you want STILL more information ...

Brian Norden July 31, 2001 07:34PM

Rick Steele July 31, 2001 09:41AM

Earl Pitts July 31, 2001 11:06AM

Idiots in the news

Mik July 31, 2001 11:29AM

Re: Idiots in the news

Michael Allen July 31, 2001 05:52PM

regulations and overreactions

Mik July 31, 2001 08:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.