Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Edwards & C&TS

November 17, 2008 08:19PM
Wow, I'm sorry, but I'd had no idea about this operation at all.

The car appears very nicely turned out!

I must first state that I am very (read: very) much a steam devotee', and as such I have trouble accepting replacement of steam with internal combustion or electric power, both "in the day" and on today's various lines. But there can be no question that Steven's correct in his "entertainment" assertions. I am an engineer at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, a 30" gauge steam railroad with steep grades and annual haulage well in excess of 100,000. The remarks Steve makes regarding "costume" and other period traditions are absolutely correct. Something else I begrudgingly admit is the fact that steam costs far more than diesel or electric power, especially in certain areas. When "tourist" railroads are operated for-profit there can be now question that any operator who is able to compare numbers will have to think very hard, especially in tough economic times, about the relative cost of operating steam.

Please understand, left to me every possible engine would be operable and used as regularly as conditions might permit, nationwide. However, that ugly word, reality, creeps into even my twisted mind and I am forced to admit to myself that my desires simply aren't anything beyond the wildest of crazy dreams and diesel/electric power simply has to be allowed into the tourist line mix in order for some of them to remain viable.

I would post a photo of the engine newly purchased by/donated to the Zoo but I don't want to make anyone ill. I surely hope I never have to run that engine, but I do understand why it's there.

I'll end by stating that I applaud production of a vehicle which will help lines survive and SUPPORT steam's continued operation. I sure as heck hope we don't see more "Grand Canyon's!!"

Just my $.02.

John
Subject Author Posted

Edwards & C&TS Attachments

Steven Torrico November 10, 2008 04:55PM

zephyrus November 12, 2008 05:30PM

Steven Torrico November 12, 2008 07:41PM

Captain_Bazza November 16, 2008 08:38PM

Steven Torrico November 17, 2008 07:14AM

Ed Stabler November 17, 2008 08:37AM

Mike Trent November 17, 2008 04:32PM

Omahas9000 November 17, 2008 08:19PM

Zoo train?

bcp November 17, 2008 09:36PM

Anonymous User November 17, 2008 10:08PM

Anonymous User November 19, 2008 07:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login