Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Edwards & C&TS

November 17, 2008 07:14AM
We can only hope that our customer, Andean Railway Corp. will have as much success as Disney. Walt Disney was well known as a railfan. I wonder how many kids had their first exposure to a steam locomotive while at the Magic Kingdom? Having been an owner of a tourist railroad I have come to the opinion that we are in the entertainment business, the show is "old time" railroading...the train, locomotives, ticket punches, old style uniforms, oil cans, oiling around the engine, etc., these are all props and part of the show....having the engineer and conductor compare their wrist watches or now cell phones....means little to the folks...however, the two guys, in appropriate uniforms, pulling out the old pocket watch and comparing time is what the folks expect to see....its part of the lore and is most definitely part of the show. A great example was a scene in the old Petticoat Junction TV show...Floyd is back in the combine, slides the bagg door open, sticks his head out towards the engine and says "Ok Charlie....lets go"...nothing happens...he does the bit again...then close-up of Charlie..."Floyd, I am not moving this train until you say it right"...close-up of Floyd, he looks frustrated, picks up a lantern, waves it up and down and says..."okay...Highball"

It may be corny but I have learned people hear with their eyes. I am not suggesting that all steam engines should be dolled up to be part of the show. Being clean and authentic is just as part of the show...perfect example..Knotts Berry Farm....the train, crew uniforms, coaches, water tower, depot...WOW, those guy put on a great show!

Any day I will take the compliment of our equipment being considered "Disney" like...Regards to All.
Subject Author Posted

Edwards & C&TS Attachments

Steven Torrico November 10, 2008 04:55PM

zephyrus November 12, 2008 05:30PM

Steven Torrico November 12, 2008 07:41PM

Captain_Bazza November 16, 2008 08:38PM

Steven Torrico November 17, 2008 07:14AM

Ed Stabler November 17, 2008 08:37AM

Mike Trent November 17, 2008 04:32PM

Omahas9000 November 17, 2008 08:19PM

Zoo train?

bcp November 17, 2008 09:36PM

Anonymous User November 17, 2008 10:08PM

Anonymous User November 19, 2008 07:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login