Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What is Railroad Preservation?

September 05, 2008 12:21PM
Thanks Ian for the outsiders view. Those of us here closer to it than you fail to appreciate the giant strides those that came before us have put their sweat and dollars into to making it what it is. And often see only what it isn't. In retrospect, yes I am thrilled at the miracle that it's running at all, and if this is as historic as it gets, I still love it. Those pouring their sweat into keeping it running are of course beyond reproach. I believe though those in position to direct it into the future need to pay a little more attention to the historical aspect. Butts in the seats as a marketing effort really is not affected by the historical correctness of the equipment. Knotts seems able to spend commendable efforts to preserve their stuff in a reasonably accruate historical manor. And part of that effort comes from employees, but would not happen without management approval. Good for them, nice to see someone gets it. I think maybe someone views railfans as non paying lurkers running around taking pictures and such and not paying their dues by not buying train tickets. Yet we stay in Chama motels, eat chama meals, send our wives to shop in Chama shops, and buy Chama groceries and Chama gas, for days on end persueing our interests.

George
Subject Author Posted

What is Railroad Preservation?

IanD September 05, 2008 10:05AM

geode September 05, 2008 12:21PM

Eldon Elmore September 05, 2008 03:15PM

Steve Singer September 08, 2008 04:26PM

Jeff Taylor September 08, 2008 10:03PM

D&RG #32, #410, "Camp Bird", "Chama" history

hank September 10, 2008 10:31AM

Re: D&RG #32, #410, "Camp Bird", "Chama" history

Jeff Taylor September 10, 2008 10:56AM

Re: D&RG #32, #410, "Camp Bird", "Chama" history

hank September 10, 2008 11:19AM

Anonymous User September 10, 2008 02:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login