Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: That other narrow gauge

dan
July 19, 2008 08:19AM
Glenn,
Of course the EFD program is described on line at svry.com. However, I'll describe as best I can.

I begin working the day prior to the EFD. Either Scott or myself begin greasing. We inspect for leaks, broken or missing parts and do a hammer test. One of us climbs into and cleans the firebox. The following day begins at 0630 when we pull 19 out of the Backshop with the 110, our 10 ton diesel. Once outside we start an air compressor and connect it to the firing manifold and light the fire using air for atomizing. While the water is heating we finish any greasing not yet completed and fill the steam and journal mechanical lubricators, and the air pump lubricators. There is paperwork we do as part of the inspection and I begin filling out the paperwork while waiting for steam. Also, time permitting, I wipe down the boiler. The EFD is welcome to arrive anytime they wish we depart around 1030 hrs. They can participate in final lubing or whatever. One or two folks have arrived the previous day and dropped into the pit with us and helped lubricate (caution, it is very greasy!).

As the steam builds, I describe the appliances (air pump, dynamo, reverser, injectors). Next I have the EFD sit and teach him/her about the brake system. I have them 'apply' Automatic brakes several times, and the Independent brake as well. Without air is a good time to practice setting and releasing brakes. At this point I describe what the various valves do, including the Firing Manifold valves, and try to answer any questions they may have.

When we get to about 110 PSI steam, We show the EFD the procedure for starting the air pump and injectors. With air now I have the EFD use the Automatic and Independent brakes again. We open the injector valves and the boiler check valves, then test the injectors. We start the dynamo and check all the lights, and check the sanders.

When we have around 135 PSI and building, the EFD moves 19 over to the fuel tower and we fill her with oil. Then we move over to track one where the freight train is waiting. Now he has to keep an eye on the Conductor as the EFD couples to the train and we do a Terminal Brake test. All cars' brakes must function properly before we leave McEwen. The EFD is sitting in the Engineer's chair and either Scott or I stand directly behind and assist where needed and make certain we operate safely.

By now steam is at 145 to 150, The safeties have popped and reset, and we have recorded the values. We have plenty of steam and water in the boiler. The Conductor gives us the high ball and we proceed out of the yard. After we are out of the yard the EFD does a Running Brake test. If that is ok, then we come up to mainline speed and proceed to Sumpter.

The EFD sets the Automatic brakes, bails the Independent and slows for Hawley Siding, then releases and we proceed to HWY 7 crossing. Once again the EFD controls slack by doing a minimum set of 5 PSI as we pass over the highway. The EFD also blows for the crossing.

From Hwy 7 to Sumpter we have curves and changes in incline, but always climbing, and two more public roads and three private crossing. We enter Sumpter Yard at Sawmill Gulch Rd., and slow to yard speed. The EFD moves the Johnson Bar up a few notches as we climb the steeper incline to the depot. As we approach Austin Street, (the entrance road to Dredge Park) the EFD whistles for the crossing, applies a 5 PSI set on the Automatic, and proceeds at about 3 MPH to the depot. The conductor spots us at the depot, and we set 20 PSI on the brakes while he sets some hand brakes. After the hand brakes are set, we release the automatic while leaving the Independent set, then open the cylinder house valves, put down the chains, and head over to the Scoop'n'Steamer for lunch.

After lunch we slowly drift away from the the depot using both the Automatic and Independent brakes, to Sumpter Siding and do the run-around, putting the locomotive on the East end of the train for our descent to McEwen. We do a Standing Brake test this time, and then drift out of the yard and toward McEwen. The EFD sets the throttle for just enough steam to keep lubrication working and preventing exhaust from being sucked into the cylinders. Then the EFD sets and releases brakes repeatedly all the way to McEwen.

When we arrive at McEwen, the EFD spots us at the water tower, and we water up. Then we do another run-around, couple up, do a Standing Brake test and we head once again for Sumpter. At Sumpter we stop at the siding, do a run-around and head back down to McEwen.

At McEwen we water up, and put the train on track one, uncouple and spot 19 on track two. 19 will be used again the following day for another EFD or the passenger train. The Fireman builds steam and water and shuts down the fire while we shutdown the appliances. once inside the Backshop we put down the chains, open the house valves, cap the stack, close the check valves, shutdown all appliances and drain the main reservoirs. The Fireman and I finish our paperwork, clean the cab and head for the Yard Shack. By now it is 1700, we've all had a fun time, are tired and discuss the day's events and answer anymore questions the EFD may have.

A lengthy answer, and I'm sure I left something out. Hope to see you as an EFD.

dan
Subject Author Posted

That other narrow gauge

gbrewer July 16, 2008 09:35AM

dan July 16, 2008 11:53AM

Re: That other narrow gauge Attachments

dan July 16, 2008 04:54PM

Steve Dickey July 16, 2008 05:22PM

OLCO107 July 17, 2008 08:16AM

gbrewer July 17, 2008 08:35AM

gbrewer July 17, 2008 08:36AM

Tom Moungovan July 17, 2008 11:12AM

gbrewer July 19, 2008 09:59AM

dan July 17, 2008 04:55PM

Steve Dickey July 17, 2008 06:11PM

gbrewer July 18, 2008 08:07PM

Chris Webster July 18, 2008 09:31PM

dan July 19, 2008 08:19AM

gbrewer July 19, 2008 09:49AM

dan July 19, 2008 11:29AM

John Sporseen July 17, 2008 11:05PM

dan July 18, 2008 08:06AM

John Sporseen July 18, 2008 09:21AM

dan July 18, 2008 10:18AM

Jim Grigsby July 19, 2008 12:23PM

dan July 19, 2008 12:46PM

Jim Grigsby July 22, 2008 11:57AM

Re: That other narrow gauge Attachments

dan July 19, 2008 01:03PM

Steve Hughes July 18, 2008 07:11AM

Scott Turner July 18, 2008 07:16AM

John Sporseen July 18, 2008 09:17AM

dan July 18, 2008 10:30AM

El Skonk July 18, 2008 05:22PM

dan July 18, 2008 06:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login