Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Durango Trees

May 10, 2008 06:36AM avatar
Michael,

Please reread the article. Al Harper and the D&SNG are planting 2,587 trees this year, along the D&SNG on "land owned by [La Plata Electric Association], Fort Lewis College, the D&SNG, the city of Durango and Durango Nature Studies." This means that the trees are being planted along the line, *prior* to Hermosa.

The only complaint I've heard about the D&SNG is that the part of the line between Durango and Hermosa is not as rural as it used to be -- the NGDF's resident old pharts are always complaining about how there are a lot of houses and other development that weren't there 20, 30 and 40 years ago. Once the newly planted trees mature, those trees will make that part of the ride seem more rural than it actually is. IMHO, that can only be a good thing -- tourists don't ride the D&SNG to have the Knott's experience of riding immaculately restored equipment through modern developments. Tourists ride the D&SNG to have the experience fo riding immaculately restored equipment through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.

So, IMHO, this tree planting project is primarily going to be improving the riders' experience in the one short segment of the ride where the experience could actually be improved.

I am grateful that Mr. Harper and the D&SNG are undertaking this project. Thank you Mr. Harper and the D&SNG!

--
Chris Webster
[www.speakeasy.org]

michael Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to stir up trouble but they are spending 1
> million on trees. How many historic rolling stock
> could be restored with that money? There are lots
> and lots of rolling stock just sitting there
> rotting. I understand that he is trying to be a
> good business man, and I guess some of the people
> and Durango would shut the hell up since there
> doing this (well they'll shut up for a second) but
> I think the money should have been spent on
> rolling stock restoration. And $384 dollars for a
> tree..What do they do grow money?
Subject Author Posted

Durango Trees

michael May 09, 2008 11:35PM

Chris Webster May 10, 2008 06:36AM

John Craft May 10, 2008 07:01AM

Ron Keagle May 10, 2008 07:55AM

michael May 10, 2008 12:53PM

Fred T May 10, 2008 01:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.