Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: How much water is in the boiler?

January 27, 2008 06:53PM avatar
At SVRR this is what we are taught particularly with regard to the oil fired 19. With oil firing you can quickly make up for increased usage of steam and the consequent need to run the injector more often or longer. I always adjust the water valve for the minimum the injector will work with, without dumping a lot water on the ground, to reduce cold shock. I see others run the injector wide open but for a shorter time. I think it is better to run the injector longer at the smallest rate that will keep up with water usage as it would seem to me to cause the least stress on the boiler as you say.
Not being a coal fireman, I have to assume one can run into a similar situation with coal that we run into from time to time on the wood fired engine, which is due to holes in the fire, or wood quality. One can be losing steam pressure, while also using up water. If under these circumstances you were to shut the injector off after a 10lb drop in steam pressure which you are unable to recover from, you will soon find yourself with no water in glass. It has happened many times that with wet wood, you can have the firebox packed to the top of the door with wood that is barely burning, so you have to hope that it will dry out soon enough to start regaining steam pressure before you are forced to stop the train and build steam and also get the water back up to an acceptable level. It is better and safer to keep the water level up and hope you can get the steam back. If you are close to the depot stop, you can let the water drop trading water for steam as long as you time it right so you don't get too low. This is a good practice anyway so that you have plenty of room to add water once you have stopped to keep from popping off when the steam builds.
My 2 cents.
Subject Author Posted

How much water is in the boiler?

CharlieMcCandless January 26, 2008 03:59PM

Etrump January 26, 2008 06:59PM

stevejb123 January 27, 2008 02:50PM

J.B.Bane January 27, 2008 06:53PM

Jim Grigsby January 31, 2008 10:35AM

J.B.Bane January 31, 2008 11:34AM

Earl January 27, 2008 04:40PM

CharlieMcCandless January 27, 2008 04:54PM

Hoss January 27, 2008 06:27PM

locoboilerguy January 27, 2008 10:31PM

geode January 28, 2008 04:21AM

Thor Windbergs January 28, 2008 04:04PM

Etrump January 28, 2008 06:33PM

geode January 29, 2008 04:22AM

Etrump January 29, 2008 05:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login