Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Fire season already?!

Wade Hall
June 12, 2001 07:06PM
I was more than a little skeptical about the "hooking up" story and said so when I posted it. There's about a hundred other variables, too. Quality and lump size of coal, firing patterns, how hard an engine might be working, etc., etc.
My own opinion is that vegetation growth patterns, a possible long-term drought, and the lack of trackside defoliation--either by removal, poisoning, or fire--has made it easier for locomotives to start fires and for those fires to grow rapidly once ignited.
There is plenty of blame to go around for this: almost a century of fire suppression by the Forest Service, lack of logging to remove unhealty trees and to thin overgrown stands of trees, unreasonable attitudes preventing sensible removal of trackside brush. Ironically, if a locomotive starts a fire, you can bet that everybody will blame the railroad for it, but--in fact--forest management policy is probably much more responsible. That cinder was just a convenient ignition source.
One final brash statement: I've lived in Colorado for all my nearly half-century life and have taken an active interest in forest management issues for much of it. I've never seen our forests in a more unhealthy, fire-prone, diseased condition than they are right now. Fire suppression AND logging suppression conducted TOGETHER are fundamentally imcompatible and will create the kind of tinder-box forests that go up in ecologically and economically disastrous conflagrations like we've seen in the last few years. You can't have it both ways.
Now let the other kinds of flames start!
Subject Author Posted

Fire season already?!

Big Bird June 10, 2001 07:56PM

freddyb June 11, 2001 07:30AM

Bill Calmes June 11, 2001 10:03AM

Don Richter June 11, 2001 02:51PM

Wade Hall June 11, 2001 03:37PM

Rob Gram June 12, 2001 06:34AM

Wade Hall June 12, 2001 07:06PM

Rob Gram June 12, 2001 10:33PM

Los Alamos fire

John West June 12, 2001 11:19PM

Re: Los Alamos fire

Jessica Stacey June 14, 2001 07:37AM

Fred T June 14, 2001 12:07PM

Chile John June 14, 2001 01:37PM

The government strikes again! *NM*

Grant Houston June 17, 2001 07:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.